Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

TOOWAY DNS DOWN

(Read 13284 times)
alasdairbailey
★★

Jul 19th, 2013 at 1:49pm  
Hi everyone i dont know if you guys are having problems with your tooway service but i have just come off the phone with avonline because im having problems surfing the web with my tooway service. apparently the dns is down at tooway HQ due to the trying out a new ip range for the servers which has caused the system to go down. Avonline tech support said they are aware of the issue and are awaiting news from tooway as to how long the DNS server issues will take to resolve. so i thought id keep everyone in the loop.

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 2:02pm  
I knew something was up last night....

sixth sense....

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 2:08pm  
Sorry, adding to this.. This is a good example of how the tooway rule of blocking other DNS access fails.

If we were allowed to run our own DNS, all of the affected users would be able to carry on surfing without being affected.

IP Logged

alasdairbailey
★★

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 2:09pm  
hi everyone, just to let you all know (if you dont already) the dns server issues seem to be resolved. i can now surf the net again on my tooway broadband.

IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 1:38pm  
Can you use another DNS?
In my router, I have my own DNS, and all my computes has the router as DNS server.

I am not using the Tooway dns, I override the settings came from the DHCP Tooway. I didnīt fell the dns problem!

...   ...
WWW | MSN | Skype/VoIP | ICQ | YIM  
IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 4:33pm  
I think the recent DNS related issue was only noticed by those users in the contained port reserved for high data users. This port uses a different IP subnet to that standard user pool.

I had my router setup to use DNS provided by OpenDNS. This allowed me to filter the Internet access offered to my users on my LAN. For example, I could stop all users getting access to adult sites. OpenDNS have a check page where you can confirm that you are actually using their DNS and it turned that even though I had hard set my specific DNS servers in to the router, the traffic on port 53 which is DNS was getting either redirected to Tooway or intercepted so that you has no choice but to use their DNS. This is probably done to help with their performance enhanced proxying.

I suspect that you may think you are using a public DNS server but you are actually using Tooways servers...

But... I could be totally wrong  Smiley

IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 5:27pm  
You are in true.
Due, my DNS is my own server, I created a ghost zone ( qwertyuiop.org ). It doesnīt exist in Internet, just in my server, and I queried the zone from my computer, and...... I got an answer.... I am using my own DNS.
I have the unlimited package, and I am using from 80 - 150 Gb by month....

Today I had an issue about 1 hour ago. Internet too slowly. I went to my roof and re align the anntena, I didnīt get better sigal (the SNR is today at 10.8 aprox, and another days is 12) and after 5 minutes pointing the antenna, I got a fast internet again.

...   ...
WWW | MSN | Skype/VoIP | ICQ | YIM  
IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 5:38pm  
Internally a lookup would probably work ok wouldnt it?

All I know is that I have used OpenDNS for a very long time on the same router over a few different connect types. Cable, ADSL and bridging via a mifi router and on all of those connections I could use OpenDNS without issue.

I then start using Satellite internet and I can no longer use OpenDNS. I checked the config on my router and it was ok but it just wont let me use any other DNS.

I then moved on to my own DNS by setting up a Clear OS server on my lan. This ran DNS internally and then forwarded any external requests on to OpenDNS as the only externally configured DNS servers. Lookups worked but when I did the test on the OpenDNS web site it said I was not using their DNS servers and would not provide any filtering what so ever.

I then spoke to my provider and they basically confirmed my suspicions in that you have to use Tooways DNS even if you think you are not...

either way, my only aim was to provide a filtered connection so that my LAN users were protected from undesirable sites. Ive now achieved that by installing a filter on my router so that all of the filtering is done locally before hitting the internet now.

IP Logged

Alphaco
★★

near Toulouse, France
Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 8:11pm  
Hi all,

I don't know if Sat2way solved the problem by now, but to me it looks like they haven't, at least the DNS servers 95.210.254.8 and 95.210.254.9 don't reply to pings.
As a workaround, I have set my router's static DNS table to the DNS server address of a local ISP, free.fr, 212.27.40.240.
This is slow, but it works. Probably the problem at Sat2way will be fixed by monday, if the only problem is that they don't pay week-end shifts at the Torino hub :-|

Johan
TV / VSAT Installer in southwest France

IP Logged

Alphaco
★★

near Toulouse, France
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 8:15pm  
reply to "self": it works again, with 0.0.0.0 set in my router's DNS table. Means: Sat2way's DNS servers don't reply to pings.

Johan

IP Logged

Alphaco
★★

near Toulouse, France
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:50pm  
Update: this morning, the problem had reappreared, but using another ISP's DNS server did not help this time. It looked like all DNS traffic was redirected to Sat2way's machines, which had a problem. Later in the day, the problem disappeared, but I hope it is sorted now: half days in the middle of the week without Internet access (unless you know all IP addresses you have to talk to) is not acceptable, not even for small companies. Angry

Johan

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 8:12pm  
Ive had too many power cuts today to notice the DNS issues. There will be many different subnets spread over the various spot beams so its highly possible that whilst one set of users is online and working fine, another set of users could be off the grid.

IP Logged

Pages: 1