Logo

Satellite Internet Forum.
Please note that this forum is now READ ONLY and closed for login and changes
The new forum is here Space and Satellite Communications forum

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum.  Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure.  Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute.  Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite internet forum          

No longer "unlimited" package

(Read 1495 times)
Hipolito Gonzalez
Ex Member

Aug 10th, 2013 at 2:27pm  
My reseller had confirmed me today about the suspension of the unlimited package on September 1. And policies changes like no more 20/6 Mbps in the description, more strict in the FUP, etc etc. when I have news, I will write here, I will wait for the information about skylogic

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator

Personal text from Profile,
Options, Top line

Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 3:48pm  
"PARIS 2011: Paris-based Eutelsat, which has been planning Ka-Sat since 2007, expects Ka-Sat will reach profitability by the three-year mark with around 300,000 subscribers, although depending on the mix of professional and consumer users, that milestone may come earlier or later. Counting just consumers, Ka-Sat can accommodate up to 1 million subscribers, according to Eutelsat estimates."

KA-SAT has 82 beams, 2 of which are half bandwidth.  Approx capacity 400 Mbit/s download per beam.  1,000,000 customers / 81 = 12,345 customers per beam.  Bit rate per customer = 400 Mbit/s / 12,345 = 32.4 kbit/s. If the fill factor is 50% then 16 kbit/s per customer = 4.8 Gbytes per customer per 28 days.

It will be interesting to see what FAP/FUP Eutelsat/Skylogic come up with.  Maybe the new fair access policy will put Mbytes sliding window limits per hour, 4 hours, 12 hours, week and 28 days as before.

Whatever they do they need to try to meet the conflicting needs of the re-seller sales people who would like to use expressions like "20 Mbit/s unlimited" and the prospective customers who need to be given a realistic expectation of what the service will be like.  e.g. "10GB allowance: Up to 20 Mbit/s, 28 day average up to 33 kbit/s"

IP Logged

RonanIRL
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 4:35pm  
as far as I know the unlimited package wont change for people already on it, its new users that wont have the option to purchase the unlimited package anymore, its called xxl 50gb I think

IP Logged