Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

How is Tooway in the rain?,

(Read 9625 times)
satinternetuk1
★★

Oct 16th, 2013 at 4:54pm  
At the moment I have SES Ka-band satellite which is ok when it is fine but when we even have light rain I lose signal so have been looking at Tooway

Bentley Walker was kindly enough to send me a footprint map and I would be in the middle of beam 23,

Can any one who has tooway tell me what sort of RX signal they have during rain/drizzle?

IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:18pm  
I am still waiting for a powerful rain to testing it.

I am in the south Spain and we hadn't have rain yet.

Jut a medium rain about a month ago and the SNR drop from 12 to 9 but the link was good and stable.

...   ...
WWW | MSN | Skype/VoIP | ICQ | YIM  
IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:20pm  
What is your speed with SES?

Remember,bathe beam 23 in tooway is a heavy congestionated beam and a lot of people have speed issues

...   ...
WWW | MSN | Skype/VoIP | ICQ | YIM  
IP Logged

satinternetuk1
★★

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 2:52pm  
When it is not raining I get 20mb 99.9% of the time https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3034558308 as per this thread https://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1380758775/0

But like today I can not use it as it is raining if it is a clear sky I get 7.5db of signal on the gilat aeries modem if it is heavy cloud about 4.5 db then when it rains the signal is gone,

IP Logged

pladecalvo
★★★

Valencia, Spain
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:46am  
Mine is OK in all but torrential thunderstorms.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 11:49pm  

Near the Northern edge of beam 19 (green, central Italy).  Yesterday was raining heavily all day;  here are some snapshots of SNR:

Today after slightly rainy start, the weather cleared up;  here some snapshots today:

Interesting that during the heavy rain, the forward SNR went right down but the return SNR was pretty much unchanged.

IP Logged

bigdishsat
★★

France
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 10:36pm  
Quote:
Can any one who has tooway tell me what sort of RX signal they have during rain/drizzle?

A Tooway client sent me his modem to test ... he's registered on Beam 16 which is very weak here (I'm on Beam 15) but is just about recievable. On a rainy day, the Rx signal was just about 3dB which is considerably lower than recommended but his modem worked fine. It streamed BBC radio for 4 hours on test without any drop out or buffering.

That means the Tooway system still continues to work reasonably well in very adverse conditions. I would doubt that SES is any different and I would suggest that you look at your dish installation before going to the expense of changing suppliers.
Smiley

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 10:09am  
Quote:
Quote:

A Tooway client sent me his modem to test ... he's registered on Beam 16 which is very weak here (I'm on Beam 15) but is just about recievable. On a rainy day, the Rx signal was just about 3dB which is considerably lower than recommended but his modem worked fine. It streamed BBC radio for 4 hours on test without any drop out or buffering.

That means the Tooway system still continues to work reasonably well in very adverse conditions. I would doubt that SES is any different and I would suggest that you look at your dish installation before going to the expense of changing suppliers.
Smiley

Every VSAT system goes down in extreme heavy weather (Rain/Snow), just wait a few minutes and systems are back online, changing system or supplier does not help. Remember, it can be sunny at your location but heavy rain at the hub, same problem.

IP Logged

Pages: 1