Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

All Lights Flashing on HN9400 Modem

(Read 11611 times)
martin.amara
★★

Mar 6th, 2014 at 6:54am  
Dear All

I have one HN9460 Modem which has issue of all lights flashing when connected to antenna. Checked same modem on other aligned antennas but same status. Can anyone suggest to recover. Also modem has fallback.bin software can any one tell what this software does.

Thanks & Regards
Martin
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2014 at 10:33am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2014 at 10:55am  
I don't have a manual for the HN9400. Can anyone help please ?

I would leave it on, alone for an hour. It can take 25 min between broadcasts of commissioning software and then 5 minutes to download the commissioning software. It may take a further 10 - 20 minutes to download the operational software !

If you can see the modem screens, then monitor the Terminal Initialization Sequence. The screen shown in the HN9000 installation guide looks like this:
Your screen may be similar.

If it does not work, call the network hub and make sure this particular modem is registered and approved for use in the network. They will have up to date manuals for your modem and be able to help you diagnose the problem. Clarify yourself exactly what the LEDs are doing. The expression 'Blinking' is used to describe an LED that spends more time on and goes off briefly.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2019 at 12:53pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2014 at 12:33pm  
There's a HN9200 manual here: https://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1038623-0001_b.pdf

Far as I know, the 9xxx series share a common platform. So all LEDs flashing on a 9400 likely indicates "firmware corrupted". My first instinct would be to do a hard reset, which reverts the modem to its original firmware (factory default). From there I'd obtain the latest SBC file from the customer provider (SBC files vary with geoloco), install it, then put the modem back on the satellite. Barring other modem issues, the NOC should then detect an outdated firmware version - and push an update over the satellite.

//greg//
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2015 at 8:49pm by Admin1 »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

martin.amara
★★

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 6:51am  
I have modem with me power light is off,Receive, Transmit , System and LAN LED's flashing continuously. I have tried resetting modem using  button on the backside but status is continuously same 4 LED's mentioned are continuously flashing. Kindly check and let me know if anyone can assist. The modem shows SQF 30 but this antenna is pointed .

Martin

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 9:52am  
The HN9200 manual (pdf) mentioned above says:

1. If the Power LED is off and one or more of the other LEDs is flashing, try power cycling
the modem:
a) Unplug the power cord from the power source.
b) If the modem is connected to a DC power source, unplug the DC input cable from the
satellite modem's power supply.
c) Wait 10 sec.
d) Plug the power cord back into the power source.
e) If the power source is DC, plug the input cable back into the power supply.
To remove power from the satellite modem, always
unplug the AC power cord from the power source (power outlet, power strip, or surge
protector). Do not remove the DC power cord from the modem's rear panel. Doing so could
result in an electrical shock or damage to the modem.
The modem may recover.
2. If the fatal error indication continues, the modem must be replaced. Contact your service provider.

It needs emphasising that you must power OFF at the AC mains wall switch and not disconnect (or connect) any coax or DC power connection to the modem while the AC power is on.

Have you checked that the coax cables are not short circuited ?

Best regards, Eric.
IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 11:32am  
Quote:
Have you checked that the coax cables are not short circuited ?
Hughes protects their modems from cable faults with an internal self-resetting circuit breaker. When a cable short is detected, this breaker automatically powers down the modem for self-protection In that case, ALL lights are off. If/when it detects the cable short is remedied, the modem powers back up and reboots.

But now that it's been revealed that the not ALL the lights are actually flashing, the absence of an illuminated POWER light is in fact consistent with your cited diagnosis and remedy. Add to that the fact that the SYSTEM light is flashing as well, and it's clear there's no modem lock either. Sounds like one sick modem.

One other thing would be to remove any AC strips, surge suppressors, UPS devices, and plug the modem power adapter directly into the mains. There have been instances where the power adapter has been fed "dirty" power. And having said that, the power adapter itself has been known to develop its own faults. Except there's no flashing LED sequence related to "dirty power". One last thing to try before writing the modem off is to change to a known good power adapter.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1