Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDirect Modem used in Automatic Teller Machine

(Read 11628 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Apr 10th, 2014 at 4:30am  
Our iDirect modems (X1 and X3) are used in several Automatic Teller Machines. Every 1 a.m in every day by our customer (bank) starts a batch proccess by turning off the ATM. It takes only several minutes. Usually, the modems will be activated automatically by remote connection. But, for the this 2 last week, the modem can't be activated by remote connection anymore. The modem just can be activated manually by turn on the power.
What kind of trouble last to the modem??? Undecided

IP Logged

fluffymassive
★★★

SA. Australia
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 8:31am  
how do they turn off the modems? I.e. Power down, or deactivating on iBuilder.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 9:29am  
I am sorry,
The modem isn't restarted but the application that used by our customer on the ATM.
After restarting the application, the ATM can't turn on normally.
All that process last in iDirect system [iDirect Hub to iDirect remote( the ATMs use iDirect modem )].
If you don't mind I want to know you opinion about how I can indicate the probem; Is the problem in iDirict system or in the application running by our customer???

Sad

IP Logged

Oasis Networks
★★★

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 12:09pm  
Dear Marcel,

To me it sounds like the problem is in the application layer, rather than with the iDirect modem.

However, couple of things that you can to check and debug:
1. If there is an element in the application which is sensitive to the satellite delay. Maybe the start-up process required an authentication or some kind of handshake with a very short time-out, which is smaller than the delay over the satellite link.

2. Make sure there arent any protocols, ports etc that may be used during the application start-up, and are blocked at the iDirect network.

Good luck and please let us know once you manage..

Nimrod

www.oasisnetworks.net - Oasis Networks - Online with you!
IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 9:58am  
Dear Nimrod

First of all, thank you very much for responding my problem.
Honestly, your suspect of "sensitive delay" gives me little enlightenment of solving this problem.
Now, my next step is waiting for information as much as I can get from the application ATM builder; what traffic parameter and QoS parameter they are using in order to find out the affect to the sensitive delay of satellite.

Much thanks and regards

Marcell

IP Logged

fluffymassive
★★★

SA. Australia
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:37am  
Nimrod is correct.

If you can get wireshark to capture the IP traffic during the startup you might possibly find the problem. I.e. timeouts, etc..

Also are there firewalls, filters involved?

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 6:28pm  
You might also suggest to the customer (the bank) that they run wireshark at their end and any other diagnostics in their ATM access system, while attempting to start the ATM, to reproduce the problem and try to resolve it.

Was any software change applied two weeks ago, during the day before the problem started ?

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 5:45am  
Dear fluffymassive and Eric,

First of all thank you for responding this issue since I hasn't been being solved.
Firewall and filters have been checked. No problem.
We are running what you have suggested above using another tool: Colasoft Capsa.
Yes, there was software changed applied about two weeks ago, during the day before the problem started.
Batch process had been added by customer. Normally, every time the ATM will 'up' after the batch processing. But it doesn't happen.
If you don't mind I want to ask something:
1. Does the problem has any connection with TCP/else spoofing concept in Satellite Networks?
2. If yes, what is the connection? How far it affects each other; the spoofing and the satellite network?
Since I've ever read about TCP spoofing in Satellite Network and Nimrod told about Satellite delay.

We found some difficulties solving this problem since our customer is a Bank. You know, there are many confidentiality in Bank services.

Much thanks and regards
Marcell

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 6:05am  
What is main issue in applying TCP spoofing in Satellite network???
What kind of conditions of satellite (parameters, delay, or else) which making the TCP spoofing  doesn't run in Satellite network?

Thanks

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 2:23pm  
I hope someone with iDirect experience will advise here.

"TCP Spoofing" is often used on satellite links to accelerate or speed up the process of normal internet browsing and the downloading of web pages. For example, instead of downloading an html page plus its many image files as 20 small fragments, each with slow TCP handshaking, the satellite link may transfer all the files in one big block.

In your case, for ATM machine control, "TCP Spoofing" may be of no value. Can you turn it off the see what difference it makes?.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 8:48am  
I hope someone with iDirect experience will advise here too

I am sorry for giving the problem progress late. I've been got a lot of help since sharing the problem here. Much thanks and regards for all of you.

We've removed the spoof custom key (TCP spoofing no value), and so far it solves the problem. We are monitoring the progress of this solution and will share it here since it is a new issue of iDirect ( iDirect TAC confirmed us so).

Thanks and regards

MArcell

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 7:23am  
Dear All,

I am glad to tell u that this problem has bee solved.
The solution is by enabling the TCP acceleration.
It seems like the problem taking place through iDirect TCP tunnel mode. However, in my point of view (according to journals I have read), it correlates with the packet which is our customer sends through the iDirect network since there are no problem with another customer.

Best regards,
MArcell

IP Logged

Pages: 1