Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Dish pointing calculator for small screen devices. Help please...

(Read 5549 times)
Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

May 12th, 2014 at 11:33am  
Dish pointing calculator for small screen devices.

I've been working the last couple of days trying to 'improve' one of my dish pointing web pages to make it work on all kinds of devices, ranging from mobile phones with a screen width of 360 pixels up to regular desk top screen widths in excess of 1024 pixels.

Till now everything on this satsig site has been made in the expectation of visitors using desktop screen size.

It is only now, for the first time, I've tried to make a responsive web page that will adapt its displayed output to the user screen size.  I don't have a mobile phone or similar small screen device with which to test, so its hard for me to tell if the result is any good.

If you have such a small screen device you are welcome to try downloading:

https://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-usa.htm

Please tell me if it looks OK and, most important, does it work ?

Many thanks.

eric@satsig.net

IP Logged

Oasis Networks
★★★

Reply #1 - May 12th, 2014 at 8:23pm  
Dear Eric,

It is great that you maintain this great community.

I tried with my mobile, it was working well when vertical but when tilted to horizontal view the map and text below it was cut.

Kind Regards,
Nimrod

www.oasisnetworks.net - Oasis Networks - Online with you!
IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2014 at 12:38pm  
Thank you for the various comments received.

Re: https://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-usa.htm

I have made modifications to the page, mainly for the benefit of people using mobile phone screens of at least 320 pixels wide.  I've tried to avoid the need for scrolling up/down to interact and see the results.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2014 at 12:19pm  
As it looks for me now, using Chrome, Tools, Developer tools, Emulation, Screen 363 pixels wide.

When working on small screen device the following is the intended functionality.

1. Satellite pull down menu: You should be able to select any orbit longitude position.

2. Satellite pull down menu: Go button: When touched once the blue azimuth line on the map should move and the calculated results change. Previously you had to move the map slightly to get it to redraw and recalculate.

3. Your site ZIPcode/town name box: Go button : When touched once this should reposition the map with you at the centre. Previously you sometimes needed to touch the Go button twice to make anything happen.

Feed back on these three aspects would be appreciated.

The next idea suggested is to try and use any GPS in your phone to initially auto centre the map.

IP Logged

Pages: 1