Pages: 1

iDirect NMS Testing

(Read 7335 times)
WaveGuide
★★

OH
Jul 18th, 2014 at 2:34am  
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if a test iDirect network can be setup without having a license file?

For example,
I would like to set up an NMS and Protocol Processor without a license file but still have the ability to run iBuilder. So far I have installed the NMS and configured the initial settings such as user and root passwords, and the IP address for eth0. I then hooked up the server into a typical Linksys router (with no outside connection) along with a PC and verified I can connect to the server using WINSCP.

Then, I attempted to start iBuilder and login using the default admin account and the IP address of the server. When I try to connect it fails.

I have started the services available on the NMS by issuing: service idirect_nms start
When viewing the services, the nmssvr and skysvr are stopped due to the fact no license file has been applied.

What I would like to know is if there is a way to get around this so I may simply practice building a network from scratch within iBuilder, without using a live iDirect network. This may seem like a waste of time to some but I am trying to learn how to configure a network from scratch with the extra resources I have (server, software, 5000 series modem, an M1D1, no chassis though, but I figured out how to operate the M1D1 without a chassis) and not using a live network and without actually providing service.

I've read many of iDirect's PDF documents and guides but I'd prefer hands-on learning and making my own mistakes and learning from them. My other option is to attend an IOM course from iDirect however the course is quite expensive.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas are welcomed.

Thank you.

IP Logged

fluffymassive
★★★

SA. Australia
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 2:00am  
Hi Waveguide,

unfortunately you will not be able to connect using iBuilder/iMonitor as you will need a licence for this and then they will allow those services to run. - skysvr is not really needed for your testing anyway.

You could ask iDirect TAC for a temp 30 day basic licence. Just say it is purely for testing. I.e. IF network. however for this I think they will still need access to the server to install and then uninstall the licence. Worth a try anyway!

good luck!

IP Logged

WaveGuide
★★

OH
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 7:05pm  
Hello Again,

After contacting iDirect TAC, I found that they do not provide any trial/limited use licenses. While this is unfortunate, I will continue to attempt practicing and learning about the components of an iDirect network without having to spend a fortune.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions/comments regarding my first post, please let me know.

Thank you.

IP Logged

sridhar
★★

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 5:03pm  
Hi Wave guide

Can you share how to operate the M1D1 without a chassis

IP Logged

mamasimo
★★

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2015 at 10:45am  
I was receiving this " warning inroutes (355,357,434) hub modem traffic crc 69 above limit 10, inroutes (304,305,309,311) Hub modem traffic crc 17 above limit 10" from yamal 402 southern beam on imonitor-idx modem. what do you understand by these messages please? thanks

IP Logged

WaveGuide
★★

OH
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 12:58am  
Hello mamasimo,

Please read Reply #12 on topic "Frequency hopping" within this forum. A senior member provided a very detailed and informational post to a similar question back in 2011. The link to the topic is posted below:

https://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1292350950

As for operating an M1D1 without a chassis...

I will not go into detail as it may be unsettling to the manufacturer but I will say this: If you look at an M1D1 line card, and an iNFINITI series modem board, you will see many similarities. Look closely at the power supply portion of an iNFINITI series board and how the power passes over to the main board. After looking at the points where power is bridged from one side to the other, take a look at the line card and where those bridged points would be on the card if it had the power supply portion of an iNFINITI modem. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can probably figure out how to duplicate this.
Disclaimer: The line card still needs a chassis to provide timing reference, or at least something to provide the 10 MHz clock. I should have clarified in my first post but by "operate the M1D1 without a chassis" I meant that I was able to supply power to it and log into it with iSite like you normally would it it were inside a chassis. This is done at your own risk.

IP Logged

Pages: 1