Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Skylinx SCPC Scientific Atlanta information request

(Read 5748 times)
deneb86
★★

Dec 3rd, 2015 at 9:56pm  
Hello, I am writing to get some information about recycled equipment, which were not being used since I want to make them work. It is a Scientific Atlanta udama skylinx.dds, I have got the idu and its odu.The antenna is a 1.8m prodelin.Has anybody got the manual or any information of these pieces of equipment? I wish you could help me!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2015 at 6:43pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 6:38pm  
Can you put full details and maybe pictures of indoor and outdoor equipments to eric@satsig.net

I might be able to help.

I have some experience with a 4 board chassis, an RF board, channel unit boards, Ku band outdoor unit.

If yours is similar, then it is conceivable that a low bit rate point to point data or voice system could be set up with two terminals. Do you have several units? Do you have antennas and space segment (transponder bandwidth) available?

Read here Skylinx voice call/data VSAT system  I have no idea if the Eutelsat DSAT-160 service, hubbed out of Italy is still operational.

Best regards, Eric

IP Logged

deneb86
★★

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 5:07pm  
Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply and willingness as I am a beginner in the area. Let me tell you that I've got the following pieces of equipment ofwhich I attach some pictures to the given email address.

-      Antenna Prodelin 1,8 m
-      Scientific Atlanta ODU
-      Scientific atlanta SCPC udama skylinx.dds IDU
-      Act networks jdm
-      Router cisco 2501
-      Router cisco 841

I'd like you to guide me how to use these pieces of equipment since I've not got satellite internet subscription as it is expensive. I'd like to achieve some kind of link experimentally with the aim of learning in a practical way. I heard that it is likely to download satellite images free and legally. Is it true? Any help or guidance would be of great help! 

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 7:02pm  
So that others can see what you have, here are the relevant pictures.

I am sorry to tell you this, but:

I have no idea how to operate it. Your Skylinx microDAMA hardware is a different version from what I worked on (8000 series Skylinx).

As far as using it is concerned, it would only work in a network with a matching teleport hub equipment and presumably many other sites similar to yours for other users of the network to whom you might wish to communicate. It could have been used by a company with a need for phone calls (8 kbit/s) and low speed data between a dozen remote offices scattered across Atlantic, Africa, Middle East and Indian Ocean islands. I suspect your equipment is from some obsolete network that has been closed down and the equipment scrapped.

If you want a legal and least expensive satellite internet access service: if in N.America or Europe investigate consumer level Ka band systems using Viasat Surfbeam terminals (Exede or Tooway networks) or Hughes HN9200 terminals (Hylas network).
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2015 at 10:33am by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2021 at 11:43am  
Does anyone still have an operating Skylinx network using kit as shown here:

The picture shows a telephone call in progress between a phone plugged into Channel Unit 2 and a phone plugged into Channel Unit 3.

The lower chassis slot 4, has the RF board which connects to the LNB and BUC at the antenna. More chassis units, each with 4 slots, provide additional slots, for one RF board and say up to 3, 7 or 11 Voice/Data channel Units.

The spectrum analyser shows the two active carriers (each 8 kBit/s G729).  A phone call may be dialed from any CU to any other CU in the network of several VSAT sites. Each site has several CU, some Voice only, some Data only or some Voice or Data.

See: https://www.satsig.net/skylinx.htm

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2021 at 1:12pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1