Home page of Satellite Internet and Information

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum. Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure. Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute. Register at the bottom of the forum home page if you wish to contribute or ask question. Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite Internet Forum : Home Page          
Pages: 1

How fast can you communicate London to New York.

(Read 49 times)
Eric Johnston

Personal text from Profile,
Options, Top line

Sep 19th, 2019 at 6:41pm  
I found a reference to Hibernia Express, a new transatlantic cable, able to reduce the transit time to under 60ms for the distance London-New York of 5572km.  This was to gain financial advantage in trading, supposedly worth £63 million per year per mS.

I appreciate that GEO orbits path lengths have long ruled out GEO satellite as a competitor but I was wondering about using a constellation of interlinked LEO satellites with 47 deg inclination at a height of say 300km, with a couple of O3b type VSATs on an office block at each end.

I was hoping that allowing say 600km (2mS) for the slant paths for the first and last satellite, plus 6 lots of 1000km for the intermediate links (8 x 3.3mS). Making total of 9200 km or 31 mS.

Can anyone check the orbit idea and the maths and say if it shows any promise, please ?

I have tried to invent a constellation, possibly 36 orbit planes with 16 satellites in each plane. Any ideas as to how many satellites are needed to keep about 8 or 9 of them in an approximate line with mutual visibility across the north atlantic ?

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2019 at 12:07pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1