Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Two Way Satellite Internet - Self Install

(Read 15381 times)
joseph.gruber
★★

Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:42pm  
Anyone know of any ISP's that provide two way Internet that will allow self-installs?   My home is in America (Florida) however I am currently stationed in Guantanamo Bay (GTMO), Cuba which limits who can come and do an installation.  Any advice on a two way provider that will allow a self install is appreciated.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:58pm  
If you're willing to cough up ~$80 for a (proprietary) Hughes test device (they call it an OPI) - and you have a modicum of mechanical aptitude - you can do it yourself.

HughesNet leases transponder space on over a dozen Ku-band satellites that cover the USA. But many of them have Cuba in their blind spot - for obvious reasons.  So you should also set it up with HughesNet Business department ahead of time - that you want to provision an account on one of their transponder leases that actually provides coverage over your part of Cuba. Understand that I'm talking Ku-band here. Their current Ku-band system is the HN7000S.

But avoid their Ka-band HN9000 system. There is no spot beam coverage at all over Gitmo, making self-install pretty much an exercise in futility.

//greg//
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2009 at 4:49am by USN - Retired »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

JF78
★★

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 11:37pm  
I know that IsoTropic sells self install kits (www.isosat.net) for iDirect.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2009 at 4:53am by USN - Retired »  

IP Logged

satlizard
★★

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 1:11am  
A sat company such as Hughes will tell you that they require a certified installer due to FCC restrictions having to do with the fact that a sat int dish transmits as well as receives. That makes it a different situation from a TV dish such as DirecTV. However, all bets are probably off at GTMO.

The advice regarding avoidance of the Ka-band Hughes is well founded.

IP Logged

pikamoo
★★

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 1:12pm  
Quote:
If you're willing to cough up ~$80 for a (proprietary) Hughes test device (they call it an OPI) - and you have a modicum of mechanical aptitude - you can do it yourself.

HughesNet leases transponder space on over a dozen Ku-band satellites that cover the USA. But many of them have Cuba in their blind spot - for obvious reasons.  So you should also set it up with HughesNet Business department ahead of time - that you want to provision an account on one of their transponder leases that actually provides coverage over your part of Cuba. Understand that I'm talking Ku-band here. Their current Ku-band system is the HN7000S.

But avoid their Ka-band HN9000 system. There is no spot beam coverage at all over Gitmo, making self-install pretty much an exercise in futility.

//greg//

How can I buy these parts individual, so I don't have to be locked into a contract?

Will a 2 watt transmitter be OK to use in GTMO?

When I'm receiving a weak signal, will the dish size increase the signal?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 2:09pm  
Hardware and service are unrelated. No matter the source of your hardware, you'll not be able to avoid a service contract without making special arrangements with Hughes. If you're a serviceman on a tour of duty that is shorter than the service commitment, they may be willing to negotiate.

Here is a list of the Ku-band satellites on which Hughes currently leases transponder space: AMC3, AMC6, AMC9, Galaxy 3C, Galaxy 16, Galaxy 17, Galaxy 18, Galaxy 25, Galaxy 28, Horizons 1, Horizons 2, SatMex 5, SatMex 6. Take that list to https://www.lyngsat.com/america.html and click on the listed satellites one at a time. When viewing any particular satellite page, look to the column that says "Beam". Click on one that says "Ku". It will show a page that will give you an idea of whether or not Gitmo is within the footprint. The end list will likely be small,

I just did a quick-look, and it seems you should be able to commission HN7000S consumer plan with a 74cm dish and 1w transmitter on G16/tp15. If you want a business plan, you'd need a 98cm dish and 2w transmitter and commission on G16/tp21. But be sure to confirm this with Hughes. Because satellite loading changes daily, and this info is already 4 months old.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

pikamoo
★★

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:52pm  
I will be here longer than two years.

I tried once before with a 98cm and Two Watt.  I couldn't get a signal.  The highest was at 29 signal strength with a test device.

I see a few internet satellite dishes on the island.  They are all much bigger than the 98cm.  I asked around and have been told that I need a 6 foot dish.  So if I use the same two watt transmitter will a bigger dish (182cm dish) increase the signal? 

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:31pm  
You're apparently trying to get a signal from the wrong satellite(s). Hughes regularly commissions consumer Ku-systems in the Carribbean, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands with 74cm dishes and 1w transmitters. Gitmo is under the same footprint(s). SOHO/Business systems need 98cm/2w. But if you don't know the satellite parameters (to load into the modem) ahead of time, you could be "on" a satellite - without actually "seeing" it.

So let's start over. What size equipment do you have, which satellites/transponders have you tried "looking" at, and what satellite parameters have you been using?

And those 6 foot dishes? I suspect they might be C-band.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

douspapi
★★

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 7:53am  
i live haiti  i need internet what kid dish  LNB and broadband i need to find satellite internet, if  some one more tell me please God bless us
thanks

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:12pm  
You can't actually "find" satellite internet. It's not free, you must purchase an account first. Then your provider sends the account up to the satellite. Then you "find" the satellite. For providers, see https://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1