Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Avanti Hylas reviews

(Read 15214 times)
Munger
★★★

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Jul 14th, 2013 at 5:28pm  
Does anyone have any Avanti reviews I could read? Want to hear about users experiences and thoughts...

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 6:13pm  
Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone have any Avanti reviews I could read? Want to hear about users experiences and thoughts...

100% up-time, we have never had any problems since we started selling/installing Hylas 2 years ago. Hylas is a professional satellite system, not a low-budget consumer product. Its more expensive but you get what you pay for. Of course our reply may seem biased to you but you wont find any complaint about Hylas on this board, maybe a good sign Smiley

As regards the Tooway problems, I have noticed it is always the same people complaining in the last 2 years.

When you say the same people... Can you expand on that... Same end users moaning or same resellers?

I have googled reviews and there are not many out there. I did come across some people complaining about slow service a couple of years back.

From awakes point of view, Tooway seems a lot more attractive to the end user. Headline speeds and download limits are much more generous with Tooway. Avanti is offering seems stingy at best when compared side by side...

I'd like to hear from a few end users... Anyone out there have any comments. Good/bad.

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 8:47pm  
Tonight I can offer my own "INITIAL" review on the two systems.

Ive had the Tooway service for a month and have had a number of issues with it which are discussed in other threads. My provider since then has offered the Avanti Hylas service for use for a couple of weeks whilst the Tooway issues are resolved.

For now I will talk about the process of installing both systems. It wont be long so dont worry...

Tooway
The Tooway service is designed to be easily installed by the end user of an installer. No special equipment is required and you can do it yourself if you have some DIY knowledge and some IT skills. The Dish is easily pointed using the install mode on the modem. This beeps telling you how well the dish is aligned. Easy stuff... The modem is easily configured with minimal input required from the end user. Only one run of coax is required to connect the modem to the Tria.

Avanti
The Avanti system has to be installed by professional installers with the right kind of equipment. The dish has to be aligned with a meter. The modem requires some configuration which is not as obvious as the Tooway setup. The dish is bigger than the Tooway system as well. Two x coax cable runs are required to connect the modem to the tria.

Ive had the two systems on test side by side for approx 5 hours and the latency is definately worse on the Avanti system. Im regularly seeing over 1000ms on my tests at the moment.

More info to follow...

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 8:02pm  
Tonight's thoughts about the two services Tooway and Avanti is related to consistency...

With my Tooway service I am seeing a large change in available speed throughout the day. For example mid day it will fly at well over 20mb whereas in the evening it drops down below 5 when everyone is using the service.

With Avanti I'm seeing only a slight change in the headline speeds throughout the day. I always get at lease 3.5 up and 1 down and sometimes those figures go up a bit.

Ping times are the same across both services. I was hoping that Avanti would be a bit shorter because their base stations is in Cornwall whereas Tooways is in Italy but it doesn't seem to make any difference...

More testing to follow.

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:09am  
Ive been using the Avanti service for a few days now and it does what it says on the label. It provides basic internet access and thats it. Doesnt seem to break, speed up or slow down.

The package my loan unit is on is 5 down and 1 up and its done that consistently. 5 down when put along side the inevitable latency can make some web pages with lots of links off to analytic style sites load slow whilst they go through the links prior to finally loading the web page. Some larger images can load slowly too but its perfectly usable.

In real world surfing and streaming of HD content via YouTube OR BBC iPlayer its absolutely fine.

Ive had a few users on my internal LAN using it and the 5mb service will copy fine with the load generated by said users.

With regard to Tooways 20mb headline speed, you can see the difference if you are downloading a large file like a .ISO image for a linux OS distribution. This is where the extra speed comes in to its own. You as the end user have to decide what style of user you are. If you want a solid service for reading news sites, email and the occasional system update then Avanti is great and very solid. If you are a heavy user sending or receiving large docs then Tooway is for you.

One thing to note though is that Tooways Absolute package has a 60gb FAP (as of July 2013). If you download more than 60gb within a fgiven 4 week period, you are deemed a high end user and lumped on to a port with all the other high end users between the hours of 16:00 > 00:00. This WILL give you the effect of a slower service potentially grinding the connection to a halt for short periods.

Food for thought.

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 9:23pm  
Sooo, a few weeks on and im still using the Avanti 5/1 service. Its enough bandwidth for a family of 4 to surf as required so dont let the lower headline speeds put you off this service.

A negative I can see against Avanti is the running costs. The service I've been testing is meant to be £250 per month so being honest one has to question taking out this service over and above Tooway.

Tooway (as of writing) are still still suffering with speed related issues and many of their users in spot beams 23 & 34 are very unhappy. The problem though is that for £65 per month they offer a 20/6 service and when it works it works well. If they can sort things out I cant see a reason not to choose Tooway over Avanti. Sorry Avanti fans...

Another negative of the Avanti service is that you have to have it installed professionally... Tooway is designed to be easy to install thus opening it up to the reaches of a reasonably tech savvy end user.

My test period expires soon so I will be switching my routers back over to the Tooway service. Inevitably that'll come with some highs and some lows...

IP Logged

satinternetuk1
★★

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 8:28pm  
Good review how are you finding the tooway service now?

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 9:01pm  
Gave up on it and threw it back at my provider.

Got wimax now 20/20 and very happy Smiley

IP Logged

RogerB
★★

West Sussex, U.K
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 4:21pm  
Hello Mr M, I have cancelled my Tooway service with Avonline too, after weeks of being told it will improve soon. Interested in the Wimax service, who provides it ? I bet there is no coverage in my neck of the woods Sad

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 11:35am  
I am using redraw internet. They are a small company that offers services in many areas using wimax technology...

Their website isn't the greatest but dont be put off by this. Send them an email and see if they provide coverage in your area.

There are loads of companies out there offering wimax to rural places so do a search and see what you come up with. Redraw initially did not offer any service in my area becuse they thought BT had it covered with their fibre service. I then pointed out that my end of town had no fibre service and there were no plans afoot for BT to install it so Redraw popped a node up and now they have loads of very happy customers.

I now have a 19ms 20mb service thats very stable. Ive not looked back. Saying that, I do look back at my house sometimes and notice the total lack of 70+cm satellite dishes Smiley
----
Link added by forum admin: https://redrawinternet.com/

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2013 at 5:29pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

ethnetuk
★★

cambridge uk
Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 2:30pm  
hi guys
great review although a little unfair comparing a 5 -1 service against tooways "20Mb" service

There is no good reason to get such high pings from the Avanti service. we install lots and the average ping is between 600 - 700ms

We are an Avanti GVNO so we control the bandwidth which gives great power to create bespoke services
we can offer an up to 10 - 2 consumer service for only £59 a month with an optional off peak unlimited usage bolt-on at just £25 a month.
This will offer the stability of the Avanti service and a much more attractive price.

for more details give us a call on 01763 250 418
www.ethnetuk.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1