Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

dish pointing

(Read 5291 times)
BahamaMike
★★

Aug 27th, 2012 at 4:25pm  
Have a 30" SlimLine DIRECTV dish and can't seem to focus in the HP or local channels. Using your disk pointing appl, do you add the Polar Mount dish offset (tilt) to the Polarisation Tilt and the Polar Mount axis angle to the Dish Evevation within the application?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 4:45pm  
Yes there is an offset, but there are other variables as well. It depends upon the number of satellites from which you're receiving, and their respective locations. From there, the resultant Az/El/Pol is calculated based upon the center longitude of your cluster.

There's a dish installation utility in the receiver/DVR into which you insert your location and the type of feed that's installed. When fed your location and configuration, it will display your starting Az/El/Pol on the screen.

//greg//
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 11:06am by Admin1 »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

BahamaMike
★★

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 7:55pm  
Oh! Did I forget to mention that I'm in the Bahamas and the DIRECTV utility requires a zipcode or Latitude/Longitude and those outside the range of the US are not accepted. I'm going through a dealer in Nassua but the level of experience leaves a lot to be desired.  Holding the dish in your hands and waving it about and listening to the receiver's pitch just doesn't lend itself to fine tuning.  Which is why I was using the calculator provided on your website to do a bit of fine tuning. Because here if you have a dish, you're an expert.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 11:30pm  
1. I know about the ZIP code limitation, but I don't know why the lat/lon alternative won't work
2. The site pointing angle calculator is only as good as the satellite longitude it's fed. If you've only got one LNB, fine. More than one however, and you have to determine the center longitude of those satellites from which you will be receiving.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1