Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Tooway - Your Opinion - Latency - Speed - package

(Read 7323 times)
mark515
★★

Derbyshire, UK
Feb 26th, 2013 at 12:11am  
I am thinking of installing the Tooway Broadband. The new Tariff Absolute sounds just the job for me. about £65 p/m Unlimited Day & Night.

Normal story live 9km from the exchange and get 1.5mbps when the village is busy I am the one that gets no connection so lloking for a better faster solution.

Is there anyone using Tooway at the moment? If so I would like to know your opinion

How good is your speed?

Do you get any issues with the FAP?

Latency - Page load times what is your adverage page load time?

Do you feel like the broadband is slow when just browsing?

VOIP & Skype - Any issues?

Any issues using Peer to Peer for downloading?

Is Unlimited what we all think it is, Or Unlimited as long as you dont download anything?

Is the equipment yours at the end of the contract?

Thank you in advance MARK

IP Logged

pladecalvo
★★★

Valencia, Spain
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 5:44pm  
Hello Mark

I am using Tooway 8. The speed is OK but the biggest problem for me is the latency. My average page load time is about 20 seconds and it quite often seems longer.

No problem with FAP but I don't download music or films and only use the internet for mail and browsing.

No problem with Skype.

Yes, the equipment is yours from the time of installation. You buy it in the installation costs.

About the best I can say about Tooway is that it is reliable. I know that when I go on in the morning, I am going to be able to access the internet...but fast it isn't, due to the latency. If you can get used to sitting there for 20-30 seconds whilst the page loads, it's adequate.

IP Logged

mark515
★★

Derbyshire, UK
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 5:53pm  
Thanks for your reply.

That was my main worry. I have been told a low graphic page like google 3 to 4 seconds. BBC news about 7 seconds. This I could just about cope with but once over 10 seconds thats a long time when you sat waiting.

Thank you

Anyone else want to comment please do.

IP Logged

pladecalvo
★★★

Valencia, Spain
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 8:32am  
Just checked those two sites on mine and got 6 seconds for Google and 18 seconds for BBC.

IP Logged

mark515
★★

Derbyshire, UK
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 8:52am  
Thanks

IP Logged

mark515
★★

Derbyshire, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 6:52pm  
Thanks and I did get your email.

The Hylas system dont offer the same tarrif as Tooway so this system would work out to expensive for me.

Thanks for the info.

IP Logged

satwebnetbod
★★

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 7:26pm  
Hi Mark
I've been using the Tooway service, as sold in Spain by Eurona.net, since September 2012. Over that period I think the service has been down for a significant period of time, i.e. more than a few seconds, just once, so it's pretty reliable (better than Openreach ADSL over a landline in the UK that's for sure). I'm currently on the top end consumer package that Eurona offer, which gives me a purported 20mbps down and I think 6mbps up, and I would say this is probably about right. The last time I ran a speedtest the download speed was logged as a tad over 21mbps.

The latency is an issue, and totally messes up any attempt at using FTP (I'm currently trying to troubleshoot some FTPS connections that look to be simply timing out on me), so I try to avoid FTP wherever possible, using ssh, rsync or somesuch instead.

I work online, and spend hours each day on the web, and I find the latency to be not a major issue when working with web pages.

Hope this is helpful.

G

IP Logged

mark515
★★

Derbyshire, UK
Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 8:52pm  
Thank you for your comments.

The latency is the main issue for me and I think that is what is stopping me. I may need to find a local dealer who has one set up for me to test for an hour.

The new Tooway Tariff sound good for me I am willing to pay the rate for the true Unlimited plan.

I am in Derbyshire anyone know a local dealer with or anyone willing for me to test there connection?

IP Logged

Pages: 1