Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Can anyone recommend a wireless router?

(Read 19497 times)
Lee Phillips
★★

Jun 20th, 2013 at 9:44am  
I have Tooway satellite broadband and I get 18mbps up when connected straight to the modem.  I also have a Belkin Play wireless router.  The router connects to comtrend 9020 powerline adapters for use around the house.  the problem I have is that both wireless and wired (via the comtrend) is not very fast - at best half of what I get with a direct modem connection.  I think the router is the problem as it was cheap (£12 off ebay).  Can anyone recommend a good router, or suggest any other way to improve the overall network speeds?

Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 2:41pm  
Ive been playing with two routers on my Tooway connection so far.

Firstly a Cisco e3000 running DD-WRT. Worked a treat but having lost the ability to filter my internet connection I wanted to use my other router. Ive previously filtered my connection with OpenDNS but Tooway will not work with OPENDNS. Sad

Secondly Draytek Vigor 2820. Im currently running this router with the optional GlobalView web filter application running. This filters out nasty sites so that my kids can enjoy a safer internet. I did have problems getting it to accept a DHCP IP address from the Tooway modem though. I had to disable to DOS attack protection on the router. For some reason it thought there was an incoming denial of service attack from the modem. I disabled that and hey presto I was online.

I would recommend a Draytek to anyone. They have a solid wireless connection, good web interface and it works really well with my devolo ethernet over power sockets Smiley

Sounds like we have a similar set-up.

IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 11:41pm  
I am using the cheap TP Link WR740N, using in Wifi the 802.11bg and bandwidth control for certains IP. It is working very fine. I get the full speed although the Router. See my attach speedtest.

...   ...
WWW | MSN | Skype/VoIP | ICQ | YIM  
IP Logged

sheltie
★★

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:10pm  
Hi,

I have been using a Linksys E4200 v1 with Tomato by Shibby firmware installed.

It works brilliantly on Tooway with all but my Sky TV wireless connected.

Hope that helps.

Du Weel And Persevere

IP Logged

MrMuckyPaws
★★★

UK
Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 9:35pm  
I use an Apple Airport Extreme and get great results (excepting the shoddy Tooway speeds at present). This supports the simultaneous 2.4GHz & 5GHz N class to so up to 300Mbps across the LAN with support for newer equipment in the 5GHz band and compatibility with older stuff in the 2.4GHz range. Also good for avoiding all the BT Homehubs and Sky ADSL routers that clog the airwaves around here. No one else is using 5GHz where I live.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sudiste
★★

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 5:13pm  
Hello, I have tried several wifi routers at various price levels. Probably the best one so far (and the most expensive) is the Linksys WRT54GL at about 55 Euros. These are reliable and very easy to set up. Another one that seems to be working well for its price is the Eminent EM 4543 at about 30 Euros, also very easy to set up. I have tried the inexpensive little D-link wifi routers, but these have all given up the ghost in the hot weather we get here in the south of France. Also, they are fastidious to set up.

IP Logged

ormesat
★★

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 12:42pm  
Hi Lee, I totally agree with Hiploito's post, I've found the TP-Link routers work exceptionally well with this system. I've installed over 30 to date and no problems, also you can get them for around £20 on Amazon.

IP Logged

ormesat
★★

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 12:43pm  
Hi Lee, I totally agree with Hiplolito's post, I've found the TP-Link routers work exceptionally well with this system. I've installed over 30 to date and no problems, also you can get them for around £20 on Amazon.

IP Logged

RonanIRL
★★

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 12:56am  
iv used a tplink mr3220 with my tooway with no issues to speed, also onnetworks make fantastic stuff that is very cheap, I also have one of there cheap ones for 25euro that I got in pcworld. works a treat too.

IP Logged

pladecalvo
★★★

Valencia, Spain
Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2013 at 6:32am  

IP Logged

Pages: 1