Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Need 2-Way Internet via Satellite on a boat HELP

(Read 5609 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jan 14th, 2007 at 8:15pm  
We are going to be sailing around the world for 3 years next year and I need to know if anyone knows of the best way to set up for 2-way satellite internet (and phone) I realize I llikely can't do it while moving but I'd be willing to stop!!!!

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 1:58am  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

sroee
★★

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 8:28pm  
Hi,
We are IO solutions can specialized on stabilized platforms for vessels and giving internet solutions.
If you are interesting you can enter our website :www.io-sat.com
and contact me : roees@io-sat.com
thanks
Roee

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 2:57pm  
Thanks Greg
Iwas looking for a satellite means to provide a higher speed link. 64 Kbs (from the first google source) is a slower alternative that I am hoping we don't have to use. I didn't look through the entire google list of course. 2-way hi-speed satellite marine internet/phone doesn't produce a lot of useful stuff
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2014 at 8:53pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 9:12pm  
You only followed the narrowband links. Broadband underway IS available - and reliable, but expensive. It's possible due to  antenna (dish) auto-tracking, a  hardware feature that is slaved to your GPS and/or gyrocompass. In fair seas, the tracking software will keep your dish on the satellite regardless of what you do at the helm.

Continue to follow those Google leads, perhaps narrow the search criteria to broadband only. Compared to the expense of a 3 year cruise, I will assume that the price of underway broadband connectivity should be insignificant.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 2:20pm  
Hi, There is a company called Global Marine Communications, their website is www.gmcomms.net. They seem to cover Europe, Africa, Australia, America and other places, looks good, dunno the prices tho.

Regards
TTT
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2014 at 8:53pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 9:53pm  
For marine use, you want an Inmarsat system.  Their new BGAN system offers 400+ Kbps connectivity with a portable package and worldwide availability.

The downside is that you pay by the minute for connectivity, and it's pretty expensive, but there really isn't any good alternative for consumer broadband internet coverage for worldwide naval usage.

You can see details at: https://www.inmarsat.com

Inmarsat only operates the satellites.  You would get the equipment and service from one of their distribution partners.    There's a link from their web page, or you can google inmarsat bgan.

DC Palter
President,
Apposite Technologies, Inc. - WAN Emulation Made Easy
author of "Satellites and the Internet"

« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2014 at 8:55pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1