Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Dish pointing in Mauritius

(Read 9142 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jun 23rd, 2007 at 4:59am  
Hi, I live in Mauritius & I have a free to air digital satellite receiver. I would like to know how to position my dish to Thaicom 3 78,5 degrees east, I want to be able to view he godtv network and other christian channels.

I have a regular size dish, I think it is less that 1 meter in size. Do I neet to get a bigger dish?

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 8:51am  
This page will help you with satellite dish pointing from Mauritius:
https://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-dish-pointing-mauritius.htm

Sorry it was a bit cloudy the day the picture was taken!

Regarding dish size.  The Thaicom beam that covers Mauritius is called the global beam.  This means that it is rather wide (a circle, 17 deg across) to send its power to the whole visible earth and thus low gain.
The downlink power per unit area on the surface is therefore low and you will need a moderately large dish.  Try with what you have first.   For a 6 dB improvement you need a dish twice the diameter (4 times the area)

You could try asking Thaicom what size dish they suggest.
wxw
Best regards, Eric.

ps.  If anyone wants earth view gif images like that above from other positions along the equator this page will do it.  Just select a satellite longitude, click anywhere on the main Google map and wait till the gif image is calculated and drawn based on my coast line data. Then right click on the image to copy.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2007 at 10:35am by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1