Pages: 1

how do i know when a BUC is bad

(Read 3138 times)
EDWIN
★★★

Lagos, Nigeria
Sep 17th, 2007 at 1:58pm  
DEAR SIR,
PLEASE HOW DO I KNOW WHEN MY BUC IS BAD. AM WORKING AT SITE AFTER LOCKING THE ANTENNA SIGNAL TO THE SPECIFIED   SATELITTE AND FREQUENCY MY NOC SAID THAT CAN SEE MY CARRIER.WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM THAT THEY WILL CAN SEE THE CARRIER ONLINE. AND ON MY LINKSTAR MODEM THE SAT LED IS BLINKING ALTHOUGH VERY SLOW. AND ALL THE PARAMETERS ARE WELL CONFIGURED.

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 12:15am  
I don't know anything about troubleshooting Linkstar, however I know that troubleshooting a BUC can be very difficult as there are a number of items in the transmit path that can contribute to the problem (modem, cable, connectors, BUC, feed horn, alignment & polarity). 

Unfortunately the best way to confirm a bad BUC is to replace it with a known good BUC and see if the problem disappears.

Try to eliminate problems in the cable path first.  Measure the voltage on the TX port of the modem, and then measure it again at the end of the cable where it plugs into the BUC.  The two readings should be very close.  If they are not, then the problem is likely in the cable or a connector.  If the readings are the same, then your only real alternative is to replace the BUC with one that you know to be good, and see if that fixes it. 

If the NOC can see your carrier, that would tend to indicate that the BUC is OK (assuming it is generating the proper power); however replacing it is the best way to confirm. 

If the NOC can see your carrier, are they able to perform a cross-pol?  Does the NOC say that they think your BUC is bad?

IP Logged

Pages: 1