Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Caribbean Satellite

(Read 4500 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Feb 13th, 2008 at 4:15am  
Hey all,

I'm interested in setting up a satellite connect here in the Caribbean.  The local internet providers just aren't cutting it for me.

Installation is going to have to be DIY but I was wondering if anyone knew of a provider out here - and what kind of equipment am I looking at getting?

Thanks

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 6:07pm  
It would help if you could post exactly where in the area you will need a set up and what the main use of the system will be...ie normal household surfing and e-mail or commercial buisness class service.

Also a budget since you can go anywhere from $299 for equipment and $69 per month for service to many thousands for equipment and similar for monthly.

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 7:07pm  
As mentioned many can help, but we need more information.  You mentioned DIY, have you done this or had training for installation?

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Tom@CountrySideNet.com

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 11:08pm  
Grrk... obviously details help.

Usage:  Home/casual. 

Skillset:  No direct sat exp.  Prior Army Signal Corp and long time compu-geek so I'm not too worried about it.  And I've plenty of time here.

Budget:  The low end is looking good but not if it impacts reliability .    Expandability would be nice but is not required.    Monthly fee is good at $60-100.  (I'm paying $60/month now for 5 to 15kps).

Existing equipment:  Non-penetrating roof mount, Hughesnet .74 dish, 1W transmitter and 7000 modem.  It'd be nice to use this stuff but I didn't pay a whole lot for it so I'm not married to it.

Existing conditions: No parts stores available.  No way to get a "professional" installer out here.  Postal delivery options vary between unreliable and slow or expensive and slow. 

Ultimately if this works out I'd like to let other people around here know what, how & where.  The existing personal internet services are such that, if they didn't have a captive audience, would never be able to stay in business.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 12:01am  
Might be doable, but there's a lot of stuff to deal with that would be easier to communicate offline - rather than in forum format. Contact me via site email and I'll give you a direct email address.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Mel_Berry
★★

Texas USA
Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 4:02pm  
Hi Darious

I would like to help you on both your HN system as well as helping you with other options.  I can help you in the $89/mo area with existing equipment.  We are usually patient enough to get the govt. to pay for such items anyway - either way is good.

Also curious how is the diving in Guatanamo?

Mel Berry : Houston Media Systems : Hughes HX & HN - covers North, Central, and most of S America
IP Logged

Pages: 1