Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

HX50 BW system Afghanistan issues....

(Read 3241 times)
alienb
★★

Sep 12th, 2010 at 6:34am  
Hello, I am having some issues getting my Hughes HX50 system from Bentley Walker to connect properly.

We built a wooden stand, which has so far worked great. On pointing the dish we've gotten the unit to peak at 91, and stay there stable.

The issue I'm having is the system completely refuses to range upstream, (TX code 13) no matter what we do. I should have the correct polarization, and I have double checked my config and cable connections.

What information do I need to post to get help with this issue? I have taken pictures of the dish and LNB/BUC, but I can't seem to figure out how to post them here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
============================================

Added by forum admin...

To add images into your messages here:
1. Send me the images by email eric@satsig.net and tell me to which message they belong or upload your images to a server somewhere.
2.  In the later case, make a note of the url of the image and put the following code into your message here:
{img alt=Picture of my satellite dish}https://www.example.com/images/imagefilename12.jpg{/img};
Use square brackets, not squiggly ones.

To speed download time for people on low bit rate access, please make the pixel dimensions of the image size small and use jpg compression to reduce the file size.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2010 at 10:22am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 10:14am  
In answer to your question about getting your HX to work.

The fact that you have a steady receive quality=91 is good news. Don't alter the dish pointing. Your receive is good.

The problem is most likely somewhere in the configuration settings either at your site or at the hub.  Contact Bentley Walker ( Tech Support: +44 (0) 23 9231 1118 ) on Monday and check all the IP addresses etc at your end are correct. Bentley Walker need to check at the hub that they have your site ID etc set up in the hub database and that it is ready to run.

Warning: Power off at the mains wall switch before doing anything with the coax cables to the antenna.

It is worth checking your transmit cable is connected at both ends. The centre wire pin should be long enough to be 1.5mm proud of the rim of the plug.  When inserted, the wire/pin should actually go into the hole and not push back the cable within the plug body.  The correct transmit socket at the Hughes BUC is the one marked IFL (inter facility link).  Power on at the mains wall switch once all cables are connected up.

Best regards, Eric
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:32am by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

alienb
★★

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 1:35pm  
Managed to get the transmit working. Was a typo (my fault) in the config for my lat/longitude.

Recv code is 5
Xmit code is now 8

However now the modem is stuck at "Downloading Files" and has been for a number of hours. I have powercycled it a few times, and it just sits there and gets stuck on that process. Nothing I do seems to help. Any ideas?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 1:58pm  
I'm not posting on behalf of BW, so you might want to get their permission to do this. But you may need to reset the firmware. At a command prompt type
telnet 192.168.0.1 1953
Note that
? followed by the ENTER key
will display the menu. It's the RD command that resets the firmware. Type RD followed by the ENTER key. If I recall, that restarts the modem. Following restart and reconnection, the NOC should detect that the modem is not showing current firmware and push a fresh download.

If that doesn't work, the (unlisted) command of last resort is RF. That resets the modem firmware to factory default. Your choice, but this too might be something you'd want to check with BW about first.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

alienb
★★

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 2:25pm  
Firmware reset, and the error went away. Now I'm seeing "Keys updated, Service suspended"

I guess this means they have not activated my service yet. Hopefully tomorrow, (as I assume BW does not have anyone working on sundays as I have not gotten an email or ticket response back from them yet..) I will have this system up and running.

Thanks for all of your help gentlemen.

IP Logged

James-BW
★★★

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 9:16am  
Thanks for your assitance with this one Greg, usually the software download sticking like that is due to an error in the management parameters (SDL control channel, IP Gateway Etc) however when the parameters are good, an RD in telnet usually kicks off the software download process.

I believe this system is now operational but have emailed the original poster to confirm.

Thanks again.

www.freedomsat.com a high-speed Satellite Internet solution that delivers fast and reliable internet to difficult to connect spots around the world.
IP Logged

Pages: 1