Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Tooway rewriting DNS servers used

(Read 6593 times)
Heathy65
★★

Jul 27th, 2011 at 6:38pm  
I have happened upon an issue with my Tooway service.

I'm using the free OpenDNS FamilyShield service which means that my router is configured to assign their DNS servers to the PCs on my LAN.  These DNS servers (208.67.222.123 & 208.67.220.123) are free to use and don't have entries for some of the more 'undesirable' sites on the Internet.

When I use these DNS servers via my ADSL circuit, all is well, i.e. the 'undesirable' sites are blocked.

The problem is that when I use my Tooway service then the sites are shown.

I have done some testing of this (as have ToowayDirect) and it seems that DNS queries to any DNS servers are being intercepted and directed to the 'Tooway' DNS servers instead.  Obviously that breaks the functionality I'm getting from OpenDNS!

I will update this thread when ToowayDirect get back to me.

On a more general level I don't think that an ISP should be intercepting this DNS traffic and directing it to their own DNS servers (assuming that is the case).

IP Logged

Heathy65
★★

Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 2:16pm  
FYI ToowayDirect have just had a reply from SkyLogic and apparently "it's designed this way" so all DNS queries to any DNS servers will be intercepted by them and directed to their own servers...

Not what I wanted to hear and I can't really understand why they'd want it to work that way?

So the Tooway service is incompatible with OpenDNS.

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:15pm  
Quote:
FYI ToowayDirect have just had a reply from SkyLogic and apparently "it's designed this way" so all DNS queries to any DNS servers will be intercepted by them and directed to their own servers...

Not what I wanted to hear and I can't really understand why they'd want it to work that way?

So the Tooway service is incompatible with OpenDNS.

The new Avanti Hylas-1 satellite.

Avanti Hylas Groundstation in Goonhilly United Kingdom. This gives users a UK IP address from any location within the Hylas-1 footprint, gateway to internet via Telehouse in London.

Avanti Hylas, completely open and a UK IP address.

I understand the above info will not solve your problem but maybe good to know for the future.

... If you want us to call you for more info click here for our free call back service.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2011 at 7:20pm by europe-satellite.com »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1