Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDirect 5350 No Rx

(Read 6587 times)
WaveGuide
★★

OH
Apr 18th, 2013 at 11:08pm  
I have recently come across an iNFINITI 5350 modem with only a three digit serial number (verified in software) and no matter what I do, it will not get a green Rx.

I've tried two different satellites, two different dishes (1.2M), and multiple options files with a variety of configurations. I started the pointing process with iSite and Telnet and get a consistent 0.3. However, I can start a cross pol and see the carrier.

I verified that both dishes are pointed and working. I've used 3100s, a 5300, an X3 and an X5 and they are work properly on these sites.

I am stumped on what to do with this 5350. All frequencies are correct in the options file. I took a 5300 options file from iDX 2 and changed the serial and DID and loaded it onto the 5350 but still, nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

IP Logged

dot
★★★

Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 1:59pm  
Hello Waveguide

I suspect there may be an issue with the receive path of your 5350. Create an options file with identical Tx and Rx carriers, set the Tx level as low as possible and loopback the Tx and Rx ports. If you don't get Rx lock then you have faulty hardware. I do these quite often to test the RF of Infiniti modems. PM me if you need help with the options file.

IP Logged

WaveGuide
★★

OH
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 2:23pm  
Thank you so much for your reply.

Could you explain "loopback the Tx and Rx ports."

IP Logged

dot
★★★

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 2:52pm  
Take s short RG-6 patch cable and connect the Tx port to the Rx port. With iSCPC software you can then transmit a modulated carrier and the Tx and Rx LEDs will light confirming that you have working RF on the modem.

IP Logged

chriswlan
★★

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:06am  

Interesting!

Anybody knows if this can be done with a Shiron iRG-S2/ACM?

Christian

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:20am  
Read the modem spec and discuss with the manufacturer before testing using loopback.

Many general purpose SCPC modems can be tested in this fashion.

Most VSAT modems will not transmit unless the receive side is working and receiving the correct carrier from the hub.  This is the design and intentional to prevent interference.  You may have to override this in the software config, as in one end of a point to point SCPC link.

Be careful to turn OFF the 10 MHz references and turn OFF the DC power supplies to the LNB and BUC before looping such input/output ports.

Always check with DC voltmeter before connecting up.   Similarly with the connection of a spectrum analyser to the TX port.

Use a DC block as well.

Operate the TX carrier output level at minimum to start with.

Before reverting to normal operation via satellite return all settings to normal, making sure the TX carrier frequecy is correct and level to minimim.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

WaveGuide
★★

OH
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2013 at 7:37pm  
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I have now found time to do a loopback test but I have never done one and am unsure about doing one.

May I have some additional advice about how to create the options file for this?

Thank you.

IP Logged

fluffymassive
★★★

SA. Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 5:35am  
Did you find out what the issue was with this?

Did you confirm that the remote had the RX VDC enabled to power the LNB? If there is power going to the LNB you could always place a power passing splitter between the LNB and modem to see if you can see the carrier on a spectrum analyser.. This would confirm that the LNB is working and the cable is good.

The other posts are correct the modem will not transmit until it has locked onto the downstream carrier.

Can you post the options file contents onto here? also post the rx frequency, symbol rate, etc...as confirmed from the hub.

IP Logged

Pages: 1