Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Online games run well with any service?

(Read 2572 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jul 13th, 2006 at 6:58am  
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anybody knew of a satellite internet service that could make playing computer games online possible. At the moment I have Starband-- which is satisfactory at best for any kind internet use-- but simply isn't functional at all with online games. I was told ClearSky may work, but I can't find their website (it's as if they don't exist anymore). Any recommendations?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 1:31pm  
Understand that a GEO satellite connection represents a 90,000 mile path to your gaming packets. Given the laws of physics, that means that there's no way possible for them to travel 45,000 and come back another 45,000 miles with a response in less than about half a second. That's your absolute fastest ping return time. If your gaming requires faster ping times, there is no GEO satellite service that can possible help you. MEO and LEO constellations at one time represented some relief in this area, but don't hold your breath waiting.

Add server lag and switching time, and you'realready  in the 600ms+ range. Lost TX packets can double/triple that. If that's is workable to you, establishing and maintaining such performance is generally just a matter of money. Upgraded transmitters, larger dishes, low contention rates - those are the features you look for in establishing a consistently performing satellite connection. Entry level satellite hardware and service plans don't provided these features, so look also at paying mid-grade service plan prices too.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2006 at 1:37am  
Well, the only type of game that you can actually play online is of the TRS gender. Even then your at a dissadvantage. Still you are on the level of the average 56ker.

IP Logged

Pages: 1