Logo

Satellite Internet Forum.
Please note that this forum is now READ ONLY and closed for login and changes
The new forum is here Space and Satellite Communications forum

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum.  Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure.  Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute.  Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite internet forum          

NOVICE QUESTION - WHICH SAT FOR TV IN SPAIN

(Read 3216 times)
JOHN100156
Ex Member

Apr 2nd, 2009 at 4:50pm  
Hi - Yes I am a novice!

I have a boat loacted in a marina in Spain (40.6212N/0.6011E).

I would like to set-up my TV as cheaply as I can to receive UK BBC and ITV channels and if possible any freeview.

Maplin do a crude SCART Satellite in a Suitcase. I know the movement of the boat will cause problems, but I can mount the dish on the adjacent pontoon which is relatively stable, I cannot afford a tracking dish set-up.

Can anyone tell me the best set-up to use and which Sat to point the dish at? I have no decoder at present. The Maplin one comes with a decoder I believe.

I have calculated for Hotbird-6(13E) I would need to point to Az=163 Elev=41.32 and Poll=-14.06, if I point the dish at this Sat, will my TV pick-up UK and any freeview channels? Or should I poit it to Astra-1(19.2E)?

Any advice would be most welcome as we intend to live aboard for 3m commencing in May!

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 5:28pm  
We have been sailing for years Smiley in the MED. Just look at any UK boat next to you, point dish same dirrection, most of them have a SKY dish on shore (buy a cheap sat finder at Maplins). 50% of boats in the MED are British so it must be no problem.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2015 at 6:16pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

JOHN100156
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 6:10pm  
Not that many at the moment! I'm in the new MDL Marina in Sant Carles De La Rapita Spain so no help I'm afraid.

I have a Sky box at home but all I wanted was freeview in Spain - I was going to go for a simple Maplin set-up and set the dish on the pontoon. Will probably aim it at Astra 2 (28.2E).

If anyone has any useful advice with equipment selections I would appreciate it!

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 6:46pm  
Astra 28.2 will do the job. If you can find a local English magazine in a bar, gas station etc. look for a British TV installer, there are many on the coast close to you. Call 656 545 948 / 639.007.055 / 616.369.913
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2015 at 6:16pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

JOHN100156
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 7:13pm  
So the question is: Can I take my home sky dish +LNB and decoder, point it at Astra and then scan? If not can you let me have some part numbers and/or recommendations for equipment to pick-up Freesat channels:

1) Dish size/type/model?
2) LNB?
3) Decoder?

I can then mount it on a small tripod on the pontoon! I know how to aim it.

IP Logged