Satellite Internet

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum. Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure. Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute. If you are showing as 'Guest', please register at the bottom of this home page if you wish to contribute or ask question. May 2018: GDPR: Updates to Privacy and Cookies policies: As you may know, a new EU data protection law called GDPR will apply from Friday 25th May 2018. As part of satsig's commitment to protecting the privacy of site visitors and forum members, I have therefore updated the Privacy and Cookie policies. There are now links leading to these policies: Disclaimer, Terms of Use and Privacy, Forum User Agreement, Forum Rules and Cookies at the bottom of the home page and all forum pages. Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite internet forum          
Pages: 1

North America Travel For Work Question.

(Read 3559 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Apr 4th, 2009 at 2:35am  
Hey All,

Had a couple of questions for you since this seems to be the place for people that know alot more than I do about satellite stuff. 

I travel for work all over the US.  I also enjoy playing online games such as World Of Warcraft and other games.  Currently im using an At&t wirless card on their 3g network.  My concern is when i move to my next job it may not be a 3g area.  So I have been thinking about satellite service instead.

I had heard that its rated speed is good, but you will almost never see this speed?  Is this true. 

But mainly my concern is that I want to be able to set it up every time by myself instead of calling an installer every time I move.  Preferably without spending $1500+ on an autotracking dish.  I have not seen any way to do this.  Im fairly computer smart, I travel with my desktop that I built and I have a satellite TV through Dish Network that I setup on my own.  I guess what im asking is, are there any programs out there that I can install on my computer that will aid me in setting up the net on my own with minimal issues.  And in your opinion will the speed be a problem with playing "Fast Pace" online games? 

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jared Stymiest

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 5:08am  
If you're a gamer, you likely know about the effects of latency. Two way systems have a lot of lag. HughesNet averages ~800ms, Wildblue is much worse at ~1400 or so. One way satellite systems like SkyWay are about 25-33% better. But they're useless without a phoneline. If this alone doesn't take satellite internet off your shopping list, I can help you explore options from there.

//greg//

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:15pm  
Ya that takes it off my list for sure.  I appreciate your reply Smiley

I know this is a satellite website but do you know anything about the antennas that would plug in to my wireless AT&T card.  If they work or not and so on.  They range around $75 to $100 or so.  Again I know it's a satellite site but you all seem so knowledgable I figured I would ask. 

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:26pm  
Sorry, I unfortunately live in a "wireless-free zone". And it looks like it's going to stay that way in the foreseeable future. So I'm pretty much a satellite guy. But there's a wireless section of this forum. You might want to present that question here: http://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=802

//greg//

IP Logged

Pages: 1