Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Dish pointing to G18

(Read 3731 times)
YAMA09
★★

Jun 26th, 2009 at 4:14am  
Is it  possible to use a multimeter connected to the LNB to point a dish to a satellite in case that you donīt have another way to monitor the sat signal? If yes, How do you connect the multimeter?
Thanks

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 8:52am  
You need a DC supply of 13 or 19 volts plus a noise power meter.   A noise power meter will show an indication at every satellite you pass.

Suitable very cheap 'satellite meters' are available.  Note that DC power from a satellite TV receiver or VSAT modem is also required.

To identify the wanted satellite you need a receiver that will recognise a known carrier. For example expensive satellite identifier meter, satellite TV receiver or VSAT modem, or a spectrum analyser and a knowledge of what carriers are on what satellites.

A typical VSAT modem behaves as a noise power meter until the wanted carrier is found, it then shows wanted signal quality.

To find the satellite, set polarisation and beam elevation, then swing boldly in azimuth to find the satellite.  If you find the wrong one try the next satellites either side along the orbit.

See dish pointing angles for Iraq to see how the LNB polarisation angle should look.  This map starts in Iraq but you may go anywhere by reducing the scale till you can see your country and eventually find your house !

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

YAMA09
★★

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 3:29am  
Eric, itīs very difficult to obtain a noise meter nor satellite meter down here, thatīs why I want to know if I could use a digital voltmeter in order to measure kind of sat signal strength. I have a iDirect 3000 series satellite router and a 1.2 m patriot dish.
Thank you for your helpfull input.

IP Logged

Pages: 1