Home page of Satellite Internet and Information

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum. Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure. Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute. Register at the bottom of the forum home page if you wish to contribute or ask question. Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite Internet Forum : Home Page          
Pages: 1

Starband with Direcway sp antenna

(Read 6067 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Sep 21st, 2009 at 1:18am  
I am currently using a starband system and I have found a very clean Direcway SP Dish, LNB, and transmitter. My questions are:

1. Can I attach this assembly to my Starband Modem?
   2. Will I see and improvements?

My current dish is a .74 and the new dish looks like a .98 with a larger feed horn and transmitter.

David

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 5:33am  
I moved your post, since technically it's a Starband question. First impression is that it should work, depending upon whether or not you can configure tje newly purchased ODU for the required Tx/Rx polarization scheme. Some of the Hughes 98cm ODUs are configured for Enterprise grade service, and may not be compatible with consumer grade Starband polarization schemes.

Let me start by asking - what does the "SP" stands for? and is there a fluorescent green sticker anywhere on the TRIA (usually on either the TX waveguide or the OMT/filter) ?

//greg//

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 1:14pm  
I do not know what the sp stands for. There is an orange sticked on the LNB it says Direcway LNB RSS 10.95 - 12.75. On the transmitter there is a stcker that says 1 watt radio.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 9:10pm  
Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words. But here I have to work with numbers. It sounds like you have a consumer-grade Hughes rig there, but perhaps you'd be so kind as to post the part number from the TRIA (if it's readable). Something like;
Pure ISIS 1 Watt #1032009-0003, -0004, 0005 or
OSIRIS 1 Watt #1035007-0001, 0002

//greg//

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 1:22am  
There is a number its 1032009004

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:18am  
Very hard to read almost gone but the number is 1032009-0004

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 5:34am  
That works partially in your favor, as the ISIS responds to voltage shifts from a compatible modem (13v=Vertical/18v=Horizontal) to change receive polarization. But from what I've read about the Gilat (Starband) modems, they put 24v on the cable. If that's accurate, it means - short of making physical modifications to the feed - you'll be limited to working H/H polarization only. That's something you'll have to work out with Starband.

//greg//

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:53pm  
Is there something I can buy to do this or will I have to build it?

David

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:41pm  
Quote:
Is there something I can buy to do this or will I have to build it?
If you're asking about modifying the feed, there is no Easy Button. You'd have to fabricate it yourself - and then pretty much hope it might actually work. But don't put the cart in front of the horse. If a H/H assignment can be made available by Starband, modification should be a non-issue.

//greg//

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 11:48pm  
Starband tells me they have no H/H assignment

David

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 12:37am  
Quote:
Starband tells me they have no H/H assignment

Then you might want to find another buyer for that very clean Direcway SP dish, LNB, and transmitter.

//greg//

IP Logged

Pages: 1