Satellite Internet

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum. Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure. Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute. Register at the bottom of the forum home page if you wish to contribute or ask question. May 2018: GDPR: Updates to Privacy and Cookies policies: As you may know, a new EU data protection law called GDPR will apply from Friday 25th May 2018. As part of satsig's commitment to protecting the privacy of site visitors and forum members, I have therefore updated the Privacy and Cookie policies. There are now links leading to these policies: Disclaimer, Terms of Use and Privacy, Forum User Agreement, Forum Rules and Cookies at the bottom of the home page and all forum pages. Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite internet forum          
Pages: 1

Who does dedicated occasional IP in North America?

(Read 1993 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jan 3rd, 2011 at 12:33am  
I'm looking for a provider from whom I'll be able to lease blocks of "occasional time", as television SNG operators do now, but I need not only the timeslot on a transponder/carrier somewhere, but also an IP teleport at the other end, which I can use to VPN back to my main network.  I would assume I'll have to get both from the same provider, subleasing a slice of a transponder at which they've got a hub pointed.

My mobile setup is a 1.2m Ku dish on a Frontline DSNG truck, and I don't especially care what I put behind the L-band connector; an iDirect modem or a DVB-RCS would be fine, as long as it talks to the folks at the other end.

My target bandwidth is 2MB/s up, 1MB/s or so down; my primary application is streamed MPEG2 or MPEG4 4:3 SDTV video heading for my studio, where we'll re-uplink it to our dedicated C-band transponder as DVB-S.  My BUC is a 50-watt Upcom, so uplink power budget shouldn't be a problem.

My projected usage is 4-6 hour blocks, probably 1-4 times a month to start; any service plan that includes the words "per month" is not something I'm interested in.  I've found Mobilsat, who resell a service similar to this, and a bunch of iDirect providers, but none of those will do 1:1; 8:1 seems to be the highest contention rate I can get.  I want the carrier dedicated for the time period I've reserved.

I wasn't sure whether to ask who provides this sort of service in this board, the Mobile board, or the Bookings board; if someone needs to move it to a more appropriate place, that's fine.  (ETA: It would appear perhaps Bookings would have been better.  Perhaps if I didn't piss the moderator off too badly, he might move it there.  :-)
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2011 at 3:38pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 9:20pm  
Well, apparently, LBiSat, among other people, and at $179/hr for 3Mb/s, they're not at all badly priced for what I want to do.

Lots of other people want to shoehorn me into a monthly plan...

IP Logged

Pages: 1