Happy Christmas to you all.
Satellite Internet home page

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum. Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure. Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute. Register at the bottom of the forum home page if you wish to contribute or ask question. May 2018: GDPR: Updates to Privacy and Cookies policies: As you may know, a new EU data protection law called GDPR will apply from Friday 25th May 2018. As part of satsig's commitment to protecting the privacy of site visitors and forum members, I have therefore updated the Privacy and Cookie policies. There are now links leading to these policies: Disclaimer, Terms of Use and Privacy, Forum User Agreement, Forum Rules and Cookies at the bottom of the home page and all forum pages. Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite internet forum          
Pages: 1

Earthing for VSAT

(Read 3402 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jan 27th, 2011 at 1:39pm  
Kindly guide me about earthing system and what power required for satellite modem and BUC and if the proper earthing not available at site what would be the alternate.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:04pm  
More info required. Start with equipment make and model, indoor and outdoor.

//greg//

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 4:48pm  
I have Linkstar DVB-S2 modem and BUC

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 6:58pm  
Ah, I see your problem. LinkStar installation instructions seem to generally be rather devoid of earthing guidance. So I'll provide to you what I consider to be minimum earthing steps. This assumes you're using a metal pole mount;
1. use a short piece of stranded wire (1.5-2.5mm) to bond the BUC to the antenna bracket. Many manufacturers anticipate this, and pre-drill a bonding point. If not, under any bolt head is acceptable.
2. use a short piece of 2.5mm stranded wire to bond the antenna bracket to the pole. Metal poles however, are not likely to be pre-drilled to accept the bonding wire. In that case, I drill my own and use a self-tapping metal screw.
3. then use 4mm stranded wire to bond the pole with whatever serves as the earthing point for the structure that contains the modem.
4. Indoors: ensure that the modem power adapter receives AC power via a 3-wire supply, one of which is earthed back to the common point mentioned in #3 above

Additional grounds cannot hurt. Those I listed only represent what I consider to be minimum requirements.

//greg//

IP Logged

Pages: 1