Logo

Satellite Internet Forum.
Please note that this forum is now READ ONLY and closed for login and changes
The new forum is here Space and Satellite Communications forum

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum.  Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure.  Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute.  Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite internet forum          

skype & VPN

(Read 1739 times)
graham_b
Ex Member

Jan 6th, 2012 at 9:54am  
I need net access for my work, I live in rural tuscany and currently have 680 kbs access via an increasingly unreliable telephone line - I've been doing all the research I can on alternative net access modes - tooway (open-sky in Italy) seems the best alternative.

No one around me uses tooway so I can't verify the usefulness of the service - by it's nature this forum is full of problems with the service ..... this worries me a bit as I need to spend quite a lot up-front to see if the service works ...

Could someone confirm:

1. that skype works with tooway - I understand there is a delay of about 1 second for the sending & receiving of data

2. that I can use a VPN - I'll be using one of the private non-professsional packages

I noticed that someone here recommends not attaching the tooway dish to a roof - I currently have a dish on my roof - it works fine for satellite tv channels - should I get the tooway dish fixed to the wall??

IP Logged

A.Walker
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:52am  
Hi I can confirm that Skype works perfectly , in fact on my own Tooway at Home my friend uses it for speaking with his family in USA and has complemented how good it is , VPN on all Satellite has to deal with the physical Latency over the Satellite if you use an SSL based rather IP sec you will get a better result as IP SEC is not accelerated .

We can say with confidence the Tooway is extremely reliable , suitable for self install and needs no Satellite meter , if you would like Guaranteed the best price and a Company who is rated no 1 in Europe for Satellite Broadband then we are here and ready at your service as we have been for the last 65 years !

For more information please contact sales@bentleywalker.com or visit our web site www.bentleywalker.com

IP Logged