Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Get DHCP then nothing.

(Read 3128 times)
ex-para
★★

Sep 6th, 2018 at 4:44pm  
I am trying to set my Tooway dish up using a Tooway modem. I can get the continuous tone and have over 13db and I get the scanning, synchronizing , ranging ,ranged, entering network all the way to DHCP and then nothing and back to square one every time. I have checked the two connectors and they are OK so what can be wrong. I have seen a post on this website about the same thing but no answer. Any answers please.   

IP Logged

ex-para
★★

Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 4:50pm  
I forgot to mention i get Undefined db

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 4:11pm  
I'm back.

Two ideas:

1. Contact your service re-seller and ask.

2. DHCP relates to the allocation of IP addresses when connecting to a network.  I think it is important that your device interface is configured to DHCP / Auto rather than to some specific IP address. 

Setting your PC local area network port varies according to operating system etc.

Examples:

In Local Area Connection Properties select V4, deselect V6.

In Local Area Properties Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP

In Internet Protocol V4
   Select Obtain IP address automatically.
   Select Obtain DNS Auto

After making these DHCP settings you may need to restart your PC for these to take effect.

I don't understand why dB shows undefined. If you see 13 dB does it reduce to zero ? 13 dB sound good to me.

Eric
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2018 at 5:49pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

ex-para
★★

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 4:50pm  
Thanks for the reply I thought I wasn’t going to get any I
have done as you said but again I get to DHCP for a few seconds and
then the signal strength goes from 13 db plus to nothing and I get
undefined db and the it starts syncing again but never gets past
syncing and does not go to the orange satellite until I start all over
have done as you said but again I get to DHCP for a few seconds and
then the signal strength goes from 13 db plus to nothing and I get
undefined db and then it starts syncing again but never gets past
syncing and does not go to the orange satellite until I start all over
again all the way to Entering Network and then DHCP and no further. My
supplier said I could be the cable so got a new one but no better I
was told to try Firefox but it wont connect same with Opera. Also if I unplug the modem I get undefined db. And I have noticed when I finally get entering networks and then DHCP an IP address appears and then undefined db and most of the data shows undefined just like if I had switched off. Could the modem be dodgy?

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 12:08pm  
When the signal display changes from 13dB to undefined, this could be due to:

. The actual signal quality suddenly dropping. This could be because the receiver has changed frequency and looking for a different carrier. If this happened the RX LED would go out simultaneously. Is the RX LED still on ?

. It could be that the screen display in the PC has stopped receiving messages from the modem. This is likely due to IP  address failure or cable pulled out. I think the modem changes its IP address once the install process is completed. Try powering off the PC and restarting it, making sure that its network interface is IPv4 and DHCP enabled and DNS to Auto.

This document may help:
https://www.rysuk.com/connex/eutooway/Europasat%20-%20Troubleshooting%20Tooway%2...

If you open a black command prompt window try ipconfig .

In Windows 10 press the Window key and R key at the same time and enter cmd, otherwise for Win 7, I think you need to do Windows Start Search box, cmd, Run as administrator.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

ex-para
★★

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 11:12am  
Thank you for your recent reply of which I am studying. Two things i have noticed is before i get undifineddb a new IP address comes on the screen and even if i click on the wrong color satallite icon it still finds the Orange one.

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 4:25pm  
My guess is that when the modem changes to its new IP address, you lose ethernet communication between your PC and the modem, so no further updates to your screen display of signal level or your ability to send commands, like try to change satellite colour etc are possible.  I would expect the modem LEDs to stay unchanged, waiting for you to try to connect to the internet.  If the modem keeps rebooting many times, on its own, I would suspect it is faulty.

At this point I suggest restarting your PC.  If its ethernet network interface has DHCP enabled and DNS to Auto, the ethernet link should start working again as it will learn the new modem IP address and subnet mask as the PC boots and the modem will assign an new IP address to your PC. 

Unless you are in a region where 2 or 3 beams overlap, the initial signal acquisition process will find the strongest signal, i.e. the best beam color. I think if you get as good as 13dB you are within the coverage area of your beam.

IP Logged

ex-para
★★

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 2:15pm  
I was finally able to complete and activate my Tooway system, the reason of my problems was a faulty modem and when I got the replacement I connected with no more problems. Now I find out it is not possible to send and receive calls and texts using my smart phone although I can connect computers wireless using a Linksey E1200 router. I thought I would check on this.

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 7:20pm  
A basic mobile phone or a smart phone normally does phone calls and text messaging via a signal from a mobile phone mast network.  It needs an account with a network provider, a mobile phone number and SIM card. Frequencies and technologies are called 2G, 3G and 4G.

A smart phone may connect to the internet (for web browsing and emails) via either mobile phone mast networks of via a WiFi access point.  WiFi connection will be less costly than the mobile phone mast networks and thus ideal for software updates, video downloads etc. It is also good for Skype and similar internet based services.

If a smart phone has no SIM, it will still work on the internet via WiFi (for web browsing and emails).

The good news is that some mobile networks, such as EE, offer, as an extra service, phone and text via WiFi, called "WiFi Calling". This may only work in the UK.  Ask your mobile network provider.

Search "WiFi Calling" on Google.

If anyone can correct or elaborate on this please add your comments below.

Best regards, Eric

IP Logged

ex-para
★★

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:10pm  
Would a Netgear Orbi wifi system work with the Satellite connection.

IP Logged

Pages: 1