Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Panama Internet Service

(Read 23548 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Aug 13th, 2004 at 3:57pm  
HI:

I recently bought a home on one of the Pearl Islands off of the coast  of Panama. There is no internet service there. Can someone give my information regarding the availabliity of satellite internet services offered to residents in Panama?
Thank you!

IP Logged

kim fioriglio

Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 8:24pm  
as of june of this year there was no sat internet sevice in PA. you can get Directv however just call information

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 2:23pm  
I recently got a one way satellite service working great in the highland region of Volcan, Panama.  It uses any dial up or cellular based connection for the outbound connection.  If you have no land based telephone service in your location, you will need the Bellsouth wireless Internet service for your outbound connection.  It doubles the monthly cost, but is immensely better than the land based telephone service.  Download speeds via satellite average 400 Kbps, and the upload speeds via cellular are 144 Kbps.  The satellite service costs $40.00 per month, with a US billing address, or $50.00 per month with a non-US billing address.  It is DVB-IP based, and the service is on Satmex-5, which I easily receive on a 1.2 meter dish.  The satellite equipment is inexpensive, around $300, but just the CDMA wireless PCMCIA card from Bellsouth costs $300 alone.

Since a two way satellite system would be immensely better than this, I am trying a two way Direcway system here next.
After I test it here, I will post the results.  If I can get it to work, I will eliminate my land telephone line, and just use cell phones for voice calls.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 3:17am  
Quote:
author=Leighton link=board=ivsat-us;num=1092409066;start=0#0 date=08/13/04 at 15:57:45] Can someone give my information regarding the availabliity of satellite internet services offered to residents in Panama?

Right website Leighton. Go to https://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm and scroll down to Bentley-Walker.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Paulus

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 7:03pm  
Panamadan thanks for your posting and I'm very interested to learn about your latest experiences with the twoway satellite. I'm in Chiriqui also and have to find a good solution for phone and internet in several areas that have no phonelines.
I have no experience/knowledge at all about this subject so any advise and help is highly appreciated.

IP Logged

jose morales

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 12:49am  
direcway can give that 2 way service
you will have to check the antena size

IP Logged

Paulus

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 3:34pm  
I contacted Mr. Morales about the twoway satellite system in Panama and unfortunately this was his reply:

I have been informed by direcway that signal rich only to Guatemala and Honduras. I thought that also Panama , since this signal also give service to Colombia, Peru and Chile, but unfurtunatly no to Panama
Sorry. As soon I knew signal is available there I will inform you
You can get Tv satellite signal

My question remains: do we have to wait or are there other solutions?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 5:49pm  
Quote:
do we have to wait or are there other solutions?

As recommended above, see https://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm and scroll down to Bentley-Walker.

//greg//
wxw
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2006 at 2:39pm by Admin1 »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Inetcon_Sat

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 11:01pm  
If interested, we can provide Satellite Internet powered by Direcway on All Latin América.  We do have one distributor in Panama that can provide you with a 1.2m dish and DW6000 modems for this service, with local installation and support.  Cost for bandwidth is higher than Direcway, but it works.  We can also activate your actual Direcway hardware if it is decommissioned from the Direcway network.  We do have signal with the 0.74m dish but it is not recomended.  If interested, you can contact me at sales@inetconsa.com

IP Logged

Susan Guberman-Garcia

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2004 at 1:42pm  
I have to question this because I have the Bellsouth card and the upload is very VERY slow.  The slow upload seems to be a vagary of this generation cellphone 1XRTT protocol that Bellsouth uses for the Aircard based wireless access (A faster new generation 1XRTT is being used by Verizon in the USA but Bellsouth here in Panama doesn't have it yet.).  So if you are using a one way (download only) satellite and combining it with the Bellsouth wireless LAN card for your uploads, how can you possibly be getting 144 kbps for your upload if what you are relying on for upload is the Bellsouth card modem?  It doesn't make sense.  Please explain. 

[quote author=panamadan link=1092409066/0#2 date=1094736209]I recently got a one way satellite service working great in the highland region of Volcan, Panama.  It uses any dial up or cellular based connection for the outbound connection.  If you have no land based telephone service in your location, you will need the Bellsouth wireless Internet service for your outbound connection.  It doubles the monthly cost, but is immensely better than the land based telephone service.  Download speeds via satellite average 400 Kbps, and the upload speeds via cellular are 144 Kbps.  The satellite service costs $40.00 per month, with a US billing address, or $50.00 per month with a non-US billing address.  It is DVB-IP based, and the service is on Satmex-5, which I easily receive on a 1.2 meter dish.  The satellite equipment is inexpensive, around $300, but just the CDMA wireless PCMCIA card from Bellsouth costs $300 alone.

Since a two way satellite system would be immensely better than this, I am trying a two way Direcway system here next.
After I test it here, I will post the results.  If I can get it to work, I will eliminate my land telephone line, and just use cell phones for voice calls.
[/quote]

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2004 at 4:36pm  
[quote author=Susan Guberman-Garcia link=1092409066/0#11 date=1103463761]I have to question this because I have the Bellsouth card and the upload is very VERY slow.  [/quote]
Upload speeds delivered by consumer grade broadband satellite connections are - by design - very slow. When compared to their download speeds, that is.

But the operative word is broadband Susan. I believe what you're describing comes under the category of narrow band. Apples and oranges.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 7:02am  
If this is in your price range, then we have it, keep in mind it does Voice over internet Phone as well, so you can get rid of your telephone line.

758 Kbps X 256 Kbps (1:10 Ratio) (This means the bandwidth is shared much less, the average is 80:1)

1.5 Mbps X 768 Kbps(1:10 Ratio)

Equipment: (This includes Antenna, Modem, BUC, and everything else you need for satellite)

Contact me if you have any questions.  
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2005 at 5:09am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:08pm  
We are a Costarican Satellite Internet service provider.  We have some two way systems installes in Panama working very well. 
Soon, we will be opening a new office in Panama, but in the meantime, we can install a system over there.  We have 60+ systems installed in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama, and customer are very satisfied. 
We use diferent satellites depending on your location, but for sure we can provide you a quality service.

Contact us at inasol@gmail.com for more details.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Emerson Almeida

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 12:13am  
If you have broadband internet in Panama, you can get unlimited calling to US and Canada for only $29.99 a month. 

With the service, you get a US number of your choice, so the folks back home do not have to pay long distance charges.

IP Logged

J.M. Cyrus

Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 8:47am  
Some time has passed since I last asked , does anyone know of reasonably priced way to get satellite internet service East of Colon on the upper coast near Palenque. I'm just out of reach of Movistar cell service. Thanks, JMC.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 11:58am  
Although we are a Costa Rican company we are  installing in Panama on Satmex 6 with 1.8 m dishes .   

If you would like references from our satisfied clients in Panama we can provide them for you .

Dr Dish SA
506-837-3474

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 6:37pm  
The information on this forum seems a bit dated.  I would appreciate current information regarding access from Altos de Cerro Azul Panama.
Thanks
Norm

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 7:42pm  
Quote:
The information on this forum seems a bit dated.  I would appreciate current information regarding access from Altos de Cerro Azul Panama.
Thanks
Norm
As suggested to the OP Norm, this website is more than just a discussion forum. The providers section is updated regularly. In your case, see https://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Mel_Berry
★★

Texas USA
Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 2:57pm  
Hello Susan

We met on-line years ago at one of our forums when you were considering to move to Belize, and ended up in Costa Rica.   

Are you still looking for a decent provider of broadband & VoIP?   If so I have a great contact for you.

Mel Berry : Houston Media Systems : Hughes HX & HN - covers North, Central, and most of S America
IP Logged

Romeotango
★★

Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 5:29pm  
We installed an up and down 1.2 meter dish on Isla Bastimentos off the coast of Bocas Del Toro in north western Panama looking at Telstar 14 with a VSAT 3100 modem and get excellent service except in the most severver rain conditions. Our service IP is in Ohio.

IP Logged

localuser
★★

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 4:41pm  
Hello,

I am interested in Romeotango's satellite internet installation.  I have a place on Bastimentos also and am having variable service from the local WiFi provider.

I wonder if you'd be able to give me more information on this system - installation / running costs and bandwidth / limits.

Many thanks in advance.

IP Logged

f1com
★★

Reply #21 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 4:32pm  
Hi , we are a Panamanian company , i have to solution for you , Hughes and Idirect , both service works excelent ,
I have 2 installations in Bocas del Toro , 1 in SAlt CREek , Bastimentos , and the other in Sunset Point Proyect.

you can contact to my company so i can give you mor e information

Ronald Herrera
ronaldh@f1computer.net
tel.
933-0775 or 933-0785
mobil 6677-6437

IP Logged

Pages: 1