Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

South Wales Home User

(Read 3114 times)
Tim Weyman

Nov 14th, 2004 at 1:16pm  
Hi,

I'm just about to move into South Wales and wondered does anyone know of an affordable service?  Affordable for me is about £50 P/M... is this an unrealistic budget?

Hope you can help

Regards

Tim

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:31am  
Tim How does £45.00 per month sound
Twang.net is offering up to 1.8mb/s broadband on the move within UK and Europe
For years now remote areas  have been looking for the answer to connecting to the internet whilst not incurring a large cost. Twang.net are now able to offer a fully functional system based on 3g/broadband technology that will allow multiple users to access the internet in the UK and mainland Europe

•      Fast reliable broadband    

•      Wireless access points
•      Fixed price access (no per minute billing)

•      Can be used to access wireless or fixed point connections

•      Fully installed and tested

Kind Regards
Marcus

Twang.net Ltd
M 07920 489789
+44 1635 239000 – Switchboard
+44 1635 239021 - Direct
+44 1635 239001 - Fax

IP Logged

Mark
★★

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 1:18am  
Hi Tim,  for satellite connectivity, your budget IS unrealistic.  You could get a connection for £60.00 per month, but the initial hardware and installation would be in the region of £1300.00

If you can get a 3g connection in South Wales, I'll eat my Christmas tree decorations.  I have recently supplied a mobile satellite terminal to a major UK 3G supplier to use on a mobile roadshow presentation for a month as they cannot guarantee the service availablity throughout the UK of their own 3G network!

Regards

Mark
wwcimb@btinternet.com

Mark Bennett&&Worldwide Comms Ltd&&mark@worldwidecomms.net
IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 11:07am  
Imagine a network with a 1 Mbit/s downlink carrier and a shared 250 kbit/s TDMA uplink carrier.  The cost is approx £3800 per month.  

Shared amongst 60 sites that works out at around £60 per month per site.

Shared amongst 4 sites, the price would be approx £960 per month per site.

Consider your traffic requirement.  If you are an intensive business user choose the £960 tariff or the £3800 dedicated tariff if you run a medium sized office or internet cafe with many PCs and VoIP phones.  If you are an occasional very light home user choose the £60 tariff.

Note that choosing the £60 tariff, where you are shared with many other customers, puts you at serious risk of congestion and your service quality will depend to a great extent on the way the service provider disciplines the greedy users.   It is difficult to enforce fair sharing and keep all the customers happy at the same time.

It is important that your expectations are realistic; you only get what you pay for.

£60 per month is unrealistic.  Look for something at least twice the price, then you will be into something like a 30:1 sharing ratio (of 1.25Mbits) which is reasonable for a single PC home user (light use only please)

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1