Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Internet Access from Cuba

(Read 9397 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

May 5th, 2005 at 11:28pm  
Hallo,

I have a question about Satellite Internet Systems for private users. I would like to use the equipment
in Cuba. I´m a german which have family there. Is it possible to use it in Cuba? Is it possible to install a system without a profesional installer? Which satellite I must use. Please help me because I need Internet access to work in my job also from there.

many thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2014 at 9:22pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - May 6th, 2005 at 3:09pm  
getting a system legally into cuba is not an easy thing.  that is your biggest hurdle.

Starband will allow a self install if you take their online course and 2 certification tests.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2014 at 9:18pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2005 at 3:41am  
You will have to buy the system from a country that has no sanctions against Cuba...the U.S. isn't an option.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2005 at 1:38pm  
Many thanks for your answer of my questions. Maybe I can buy the equipment in US because my
Cousin is living in California.

A certificated engineer could install and activate the equipment there. I would transfer it later from US to Germany to Cuba.
Is it necessary to activate the equipment a second time if a user is changing his location and if he must use another satellite?

Or

I would prefer to buy the used equipment without contract and I must looking for a starband engineer who can come to cuba
from the Dominican Republic for example. (or I must take part at  the starband certification test)

@ Randy Scott
One of the greatest problems I think is that Starband will switch off my account if we are configuring later the Starband Receiver
with the GPS Dates of Cuba (sanctions against Cuba).

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2005 at 7:25pm  
Haiti might be your best option for equipment purchase and install.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 1:03am  
Many thanks for the help. The idea that i could take part at the starband certification test was very good.

I would like to buy a used equipment here in germany. Sometimes somebody is offering  gilat 360 Modem with dish (cost approximately 200 $).

Normally the sellers  have used the equipment here in europe but I think that the modem and the dish is the same model which starband is using in US. Is that correct?
Or are there  differences (for example the frequency range of lnb or odu)?

What do you think of the dish size?
Is a 0,75m dish sufficient for Cuba (Cinfuegos)? Coordinates for footprint T7 - GE-4
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2014 at 9:21pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 5:02pm  
matze did you have any luck with internet satellite in cuba

i move there soon

varispeed

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:51pm  
I know of someone that may be of help, I will contact them if you are serious about needing this service.

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 3:49pm  
People, please be careful.

Any American company or individual that imports directly or indirectly (i.e. buy in US, send to Germany, then send to Cuba) US products into sanctioned countries (Cuba, N. Korea, Iran, Sudan, Syria) risks fines and/or imprisonment.  Any US company that delivers the services into these countries faces these same risks.  

As Gilat is not a US company, you may be able to get their hardware into Cuba - if a non-American company provides the services - probably from Europe.  A US-company delivering services based on Gilat products probably will not be allowed to commission services in Cuba and could face severe punishment if they do so.  Most reputable companies would not be willing to risk their entire business for a couple low-end sites.

Before helping customers try to circumvent US export restrictions, learn what your potential risks are by visiting this site:  https://www.bis.doc.gov
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2014 at 9:23pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1