Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

VPN over satellite

(Read 3651 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

May 27th, 2005 at 12:52am  
Hey guys,can anyone give me a ball park amount$$ that it will cost me to have a VPN from NYC to South America via satellite. A point to point system that will allow me to share my network that I am using in my small business.

Do I need two dishes and two modems??can someone help me??
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:06pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #1 - May 28th, 2005 at 5:45am  
more information would be needed. Are you looking for a slow occasional use link, or a enterprise level business system with dedicated bandwidth service used hourly 8 hours a day?
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:07pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2005 at 4:46pm  
What I am looking for,I don't know if it is practical. But I want to be able to get to my office LAN from a jungle area,point to point. Security is not a high priority.

I am just looking for an upload and download pipe between my office and one remote location.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 8:23am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 5:09pm  
i'm not sure the cost, completely, but my company travels throughout the world for oil.  we go to some remote areas.  as long as you have power and line of site toward the equator you should be able to do it.  the auto pointing dishes i use cost approximately 15K U.S.  we use PIX routers for VPNs, but i am not sure the cost, because my IT department does that part.  you would need a modem, a dish and a PIX at the location and the compliment to the PIX in the states.  the rest of the information would be best explained by an IT tech with security training.  good luck

IP Logged

Grady
★★

NC, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:49pm  
If all you are doing is a VPN to your company say 2 or 3 times a day for say 5 min. each time, look into BGAN. With a BGAN terminal, say a Explorer 500, you can purchase the terminal for approx. 3K and you have voice and DATA (data is approx. 400kbps). You also need to look at airtime plans to meet your needs. VPN does work over BGAN as I have done it many times.

IP Logged

Pages: 1