Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Dish alignment and signal problems

(Read 15032 times)
Richard

Jan 11th, 2006 at 12:16pm  
hi! can anyone help me in my satellite dish. i have a problem because i don't know how to set the satellite dish in the correct position considering the azimuth, angle elevation. i know the measurement but when doing it in the dish, how will i align it so it can be in the correct position as the calculated one. i'm using a jonsa 1.5m satellite dish. and bolt lighting satellite receiver box. and wanted to get connected in AsiaSat3s. 105.5E. i have test it, and i position it in approximation in the asiasat3s position an i got signal. but i dont know how to get a channel working from the satellite. likewise i think i don't know how to use the receiver box, i think so. the brand is bolt. and also the brand of the LNB is PDI. and i also don't know what is the meaning of the skew angle there, how to adjust it. I have calculated the azimuth, angle elevation and LNB tilt in www.satlex.de.

so can someone help me in this matter. it is somehow important for me to know it. can someone give me a thorough discussion on getting the signal and having it work properly. and also can i ask for the step by step procedure in setting the dish properly and also how to use the satellite box so as to receive a signal and get the channels to work properly.

you can reply to this or if possible email it to me. thank you very much. and i would appreciate if you will have reply my message. and better if it is as soon as possible. once again thank you for your help. Good day!

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 10:29pm  
Verify your pointing and polarisation angles using https://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm
Write them down.

Assuming your dish does NOT have a motor, setting the elevation refers to the up/down scale on the mount mechanism.

The polarisation angle is the rotation of the feed/LNB assembly.  Start with it upright and then rotate it clockwise if the polarisation angle required is positive, while facing towards the satellite.

Find you possible TV programmes on Asiasat using https://www.lyngsat.com ;  Print out all the details like frequency, symbol rate, FEC code, PID etc.

Program your receiver looking for a known free-to-air programme.  Follow the instructions for the receiver.  Then try to find that carrier on the satellite.

Read the receiver handbook as to how to measure the signal quality - bit error rate.

Peak up the dish for best performance.

Take great safety care if working at a height.

Happy new year and best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Richard

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 12:39pm  
thanks for the reply. also happy new year to you. my problem is that there is no manual come with the receiver. and also i don't get the meaning of how to adjust the position of the LNB. i dont know where will i base it in the dish. i saw in the top of the LNB that it has some lines that indicate 0, 30. like that. i think that is the angle but i dont know where to be the base of my 0 degrees. that is also one of the problem i have encountered. i know also the calculations and also there are some program that we have tested. but to no avail. do you have any messenger like yahoo messenger? can you email it to my email if it is possible. so as we can chat about the problem and also if it's ok for you. by the way, i think there is motor setting in the receiver, don't know what it means. can you also help me configure the satellite receiver if in case i gave you the brand name and model? im so sorry. but you are a big help to me. thank you very much. more power. God bless..

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 2:35pm  
I assume your antenna does NOT have a motor.

LNB/Feed polarisation angle setting:-

You say there is a scale, probably on the neck of the feed horn, with a scale 0, 30 etc.

Initially set the LNB/Feed rotation to the zero position. 

If your required polarisation angle is +30 deg turn the feed clockwise by 30 deg while facing the satellite.

If your required polarisation angle is -30 deg turn the feed anti-clockwise by 30 deg while facing the satellite.

It would help is you told us where you are located (town or latitude and longitude) and then we could confirm what angle you are supposed to be set to.

You can email me on eric@satsig.net if you wish and send digital high resolution or close up photo images of the LNB, azimuth-elevation adjustment mechanism etc.

I can't find reference to a "bolt lighting satellite receiver " Are you sure this is what it is called?.  Please give the full exact spelled name and model numbers from the front and back of the box.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1