Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

requiremnts to find PAS9 from Texas.

(Read 6025 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Feb 10th, 2006 at 4:01am  
I am stuck with a satellite provider, so I am in the need for assistance to find satellite PAS9 (KU band from zip code 79104 in Texas. I do have a 76 cm dish. and a complete system. however, I got told  since I am further away from Mexico to use a 1.2 m dish size. is this true? I got this results:
The results are :
Dish azimuth (deg E relative to magnetic north)
Dish elevation (deg)
NaN
Slant range (km)
Polarisation tilt
Polar mount main axis angle (deg)
I
can someone please assit me.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 5:34am  
Those numbers aren't even close. I assume you were trying to use the site calculator. Try again, and note that east longitude values must be used. PAS9 location for example, would be either +302 or -58.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 4:41pm  
Hi greg,

You are correct in your assumption, The Dish azimuth is 116.8 magnetic north; dish elevation 29.25; polarization tilt -44.25; polar mount main 35.68; polar mount dish 4.7.I hope this is more accurate....
What is the minimum dish size I need to get enogh signal strengh  from PAS 9?, I got a 76 cm that will be enough?, or I need to find a bigger dish.

Thanks!

Humberto

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 5:04pm  
I assume you're talking Ku-band. What I see at https://www.panamsat.com/global_network/pas9_ku.asp suggests that you were told wrong. Looks like reception in TX (on select transponders) shouldn't be a problem.

If you're talking C-band, you've got the wrong equipment.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 11:20pm  
Yes, is a KU band signal and after seeing the link above should be a piece of cake to install it using a 76 cm dish, uh!, would you give me a tip how to find  PAS9.  Do I have the right idea with the numbers?, do I need to buy one of those strengh signal finders ($15 bucks) or what should I do. I would like to try to find it myself.
I did tried last week but the sinal did not go up more 125 in strengh. I'll try tonight again.

Humberto

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 11:28pm  
By looking at the signals on the link you provide me. I notice the "MEXICO HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL BEAMS" might be border line where I live. I might or might not be inside the signal. What does 46 mean, The strengh of signal, do I need a bigger dish since I am border line with the Mexico Beam. 'The signal is the one Mexico uses' not Europe....

Humberto

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 12:07am  
I wouldn't try to align a satellite dish without some kind of pointing aid, so I think you should consider the $15 money well spent.

Not knowing which transponders you wish to intecept, I still cannot answer the 2nd question with any confidence. Certain transponders are assigned to European coverage, other to Brazilian, to Mexican, and to CONUS. Again, it's likely going to be trial and error on your part. At least you've got the 76cm dish to start with, so you're not out an initial investment should it turn out to be too small in the end.

The 125 signal doesn't mean anything to me, because I don't know the relative scale. What I can tell you though, is that the 46 represents power on the dBw scale; how much satellite power is reaching the ground in the indicated areas. In my area, I do fine capturing three different satellites simultaneously on a 60cm dish. Perhaps a look at the bottom graph on https://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/eirporgcharts.htm may help you decide.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 1:30am  
OK,  Where I can see the transponder information?. I am looking for SKY TV?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:13am  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 11:22pm  
On the first link you send me I see SKY at the very last bottom page.  11960 H    tp 13 all the way to 12180 V
tp 24. and in the second link again is to the last at 16K
12.020V  and  23K 12.160 H.  I do believe that this last one 23k is the one I saw at the menu from the receiver.  I hope this can give us a hint of the transponder number.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 4:05am  
"tp" represents transponder. tp23 is then transponder 23. This does not however, coincide with television channelization. Each transponder generally carries half a dozen or more compressed video channels (3 I think for HDTV)

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:39pm  
in the worst case scenario, by looking at transponder with less radiation pointing to the Texas Panhandle, would it be necessary to adquire a bigger dish than 76cm?, what would be the minimum need it to get a satisfactory signal?.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 10:54pm  
I'm sorry, but this is a satellite internet forum. I tried to steer you in the right direction, because I know nothing about your equipment or your SKY viewing choice. Nor do I know which channels SKY put on which transponders. Unless a SatTV viewer of SKY in West Texas comes to your rescue here, best I can do at this point is direct your attention to the Satellite TV forum search in the upper right corner of this page.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1