Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

LINKSTAR INSTALLATION - GUYANA

(Read 4901 times)
Keeron Stephens

Feb 15th, 2006 at 11:25pm  
I am currently installing a linkstar system in my local country of Guyana. We have been experiencing major difficulties.

I have installed linkstar systems already however, i have changed providers. I am getting conflicting specifications from my two providers. One provider tells me that the cable length should be no more than 15m (PAS9) and the other provider (AB1) tells me that the cable lenght should be minimal 20m...  Can you advise on which?

In addition to the cable length, the andrews 1.2m dish i am using has minimal marking on the feed. I need to point to a -81.13 deg.. I cannot average this markings.... can you suggest.

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:33am  
Cables:

For a 2 watt BUC, RG6 is good for up to 30m.  Above that use RG8 up to 100m or RG11 up to 80m.   In the case of long cables, heavy duty types with low DC resistance and low RF attenuation are needed.  Note that the transmit power setting will have to be adjusted to correspond to the cable length and uplink power needed into the satellite.  

If the cable is very short, start with the transmit power very low, otherwise you may overdrive the BUC and maybe damage it, also any overdrive will distort the transmitted signal and reduce the BER at the hub and interfere with other peoples transmission bursts on adjacent return link frequencies. The LinkStar output level is adjustable -30 to -5 dBm and the BUC input may be specified as say -20 dBm MAXIMUM input for output at the -1 dB compression point.    The LinkStar output level setting is in 0.5 dB steps so that -t -40 means -20 dBm

A most important aspect of the cables is perfect and well weatherproofed connections at the ends.

Regarding feed rotation:

Wrap a strip of paper round the feed tube and make pencil end marks where it meets.  Unroll and then measure the circumference length L mm, which is equivalent to 360 degrees.

Measure length S from one end where S = L * 81.5/360 mm and mark this final setting angle.

Start with the feed set to nominal Horizontal or Vertical polarization as specified, and then rewrap the paper round the feed tube with ends marks at the top.   Then turn the feed 81.5 deg anticlockwise (while facing the satellite) so the setting mark S is now at the top.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2006 at 12:41pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

tony

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 6:02pm  
i am in guyana camp galaxy 1 hour photo get time come
me doing dishnetwork in guyana

tony

IP Logged

sipsat09
★★

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2009 at 4:34pm  
I need someone to install a VSAT equipment for me in Guyana, do you offer this service? How much would you charge me? Please respond asap thanks.

juan.dordelly@siprosat.com.sv

IP Logged

Pages: 1