Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

RG6 vs RG11

(Read 12960 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Feb 16th, 2006 at 5:46pm  
Looking for input re accepable run lenghts of RG6 vs RG11, and when one or the other should be used. 

iDirect equipment, it that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Gary

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 9:41pm  
No offense, but wouldn't your iDirect vendor be the one to field that question? Virtually all the iDirect reseller websites I've viewed have a link to or contact info for a "sales engineer".

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 10:57am  
The iDirect Netmodem installation manual is here:
https://www.constellationnetcorp.com/Downloads/Netmodem%20II%20Installation%20Gu...  (1 megabyte pdf file, 68 pages)

RG-6 comes as 250 ft length, RG-11 as 500ft length but no specific instructions on choice versus length. As Greg says, ask your supplier for advice.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 3:47am  
Replying to Greg re 'no offence'....
Its been over a week since I contacted the iDirect supplier as well as iDirect directly, and no reply.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 4:28am  
The basis for the answer you seek is in the manual (follow Eric's link). Return loss must be 10dB or less, so you engineer your cable run accordingly. That involves evaluating cable and connector loss specs. The better the cable and connectors, the longer you can extend the cable run. As for RG6 versus RG11 - again - you must check cable specs. I'm sure there is high end RG6 with performance figures superior to low end RG11.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1