Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Networking the Signal

(Read 2916 times)
Greg

Feb 23rd, 2006 at 3:13am  
I have ordered Earthlink satellite by Direcway.  It's going to be installed this Friday.

Currently, I have two computers sharing a dialup connection where one computer is the host and the other connects through an ethernet switch.

I am hoping to network the two computers once the satellite receiver is installed.  I'm not sure how this will be accomplished (clearly not like the current configuration as I don't have two ethernet connections in the host computer). 

Will I connect the ethernet cable from the satellite modem to the ethernet switch, and then some magic happens (!) that both computers will sense the network?  I'm assuming I will first want to get it working on a single computer before I try to network.

I'm technical enough to do things like install memory, change hard drives, etc.  Just need some guidance on how this will work (what connects to what, and in what order to perform what task).  I googled a bit and found a great tutorial, but it was for a satellite modem with a USB connection, not an ethernet one. 

Thanks to anyone with advice.  Let me know if there is any other info I need to provide.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 5:06am  
Networking is addressed in paragraph 8 at https://www.dslreports.com/faq/satellite

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1