Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Satellite service for a boat/mobile home

(Read 7176 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Sep 1st, 2006 at 7:58pm  
Okay, so to say it quickly, I'm looking at buying a boat and living on it on the canal srunning through Scotland (the Union Canal and Forth and Cyde Canal). However, I'll be requiring internet access fairly frequently to get my work done, which is a bit difficult when cables aren't going to be accessible!

So I'm looking at satellite internet in the UK, and I'm a bit lost. So far I've figured out that I will need a two-way satellite system, as requiring a land-line to upload seems to defeat the whole point (it'd be little better than dial-up anyway for many things!), especially for me.
However, it would also need to be a dish that can connect both ways, and is either able to configure itself after moving. Doesn't have to do this while moving, though it'd be neat. If water swell (boat bobbing up and down) is likely to be an issue then it may be necessary I suppose, I wouldn't know!

I'm hoping then to get any advice on what exactly I would need to connect, and any recommended companies? Ideally it would be awesome if I could just get a suitable dish and modem, and then just sign up for any service provider, though I expect I need a license to use the dish?

As you see I know only a few things that I've learned from searches, so I'm hoping for more informed opinions or recommendations if possible.

Cheers!

IP Logged

ethnetuk
★★

cambridge uk
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 4:42pm  
We can supply you with a mobile solution called a Datastorm. We are also the ISP and can provide you with monthly airtime.
please visit our website www.ethnetuk.com
or call 01763 250418

The system is motorised and with one press of the button it goes up and finds the satellite. The boat must be moored with clear line of sight.

Hope this helps
Jacquie

IP Logged

Mark
★★

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 8:07pm  
It is possible to get what you require, however the service you get depends on what you spend on hardware.  The key issue is you require the link to a boat, which is a constantly moving platform, ok, on a canal it is unlikely to be pitching and rolling, but it isnt a static base.  Just google Stabilised antennas, these are suitable for marine applications and vary from US$20K up to over US$50K.

GPS antennas are available, but again the quality and reliability depends on the build quality.  The gearing system in some of these antenna is made from acrylic gears, within time these wear.  Again, if the issue here is your platform (boat) is constantly moving, even if moored it is never as stable as a dish bolted to a wall.

Basically, we can supply what you want, and provide an 2way internet satellite connection, how stable you want it to be based on the fact your in a marine environment and constantly "bobbing up and down" depends entirely on your budget.  

Feel free to contact me.
Mark Bennett  
0870 288 9353
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2007 at 12:11pm by Mark »  

Mark Bennett&&Worldwide Comms Ltd&&mark@worldwidecomms.net
IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:11am  

Twang.net is offering up to 1.8mb/s broadband on the move within UK and Europe
For years now remote areas  have been looking for the answer to connecting to the internet whilst not incurring a large cost. Twang.net are now able to offer a fully functional system based on 3g/broadband technology that will allow multiple users to access the internet in the UK and mainland Europe

•      Fast reliable broadband    

•      Wireless access points
•      Fixed price access (no per minute billing)

•      Can be used to access wireless or fixed point connections

•      Fully installed and tested

Kind Regards
Marcus

Twang.net Ltd
M 07920 489789
+44 1635 239000 – Switchboard
+44 1635 239021 - Direct
+44 1635 239001 - Fax

IP Logged

Pages: 1