Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Just wondering

(Read 2335 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Oct 6th, 2006 at 11:54am  
Just came back from Medical school.Tried to follow up using my mobile phone but browsing was a little difficult with it.
My dish is appropriately set and I have a host of channels but I  just have a quesition.
My 2.5 m  dish  definitely cant rotate 360deg.does that mean that satellites located at extreme angles cant be recieved.My signals presently span from 60deg West to 75deg east.
does that mean that satellite like Agila on 144deg east cant be recieved?.
Its nice to be back. Hello to you all.(Eric, USN and Co.)

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 1:28pm  
If you were operating from a marine or airborne platform, pointing limitations are always a concern (cable wrap). But with fixed location satellite dishes, 360 degrees of rotation is never necessary. Not even 180 for that matter, because effective azimuth  limited to line of sight, dish offset and takeoff angle notwithstanding. Not knowing your specific latitude/longitude, I'll speculate that your dish can't "see" beyond 70 degrees of azimuth in either direction.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 3:34pm  
Greg

I think you are right.  From here in Europe we can't see much beyond about +/- 65 deg along the orbit, either way.   The longitude 144 east satellite is well below the south east horizon.

If the site location is near the equator the range of visible satellites is more (about +/- 80 deg along the orbit). The satellites appear from the west horizon to the east horizon, via almost overhead, and this involves almost 180 deg of movement around the polar axis, but 160 deg movement along the orbit.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1