Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

BUC upgrade?

(Read 4576 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Nov 3rd, 2006 at 6:34pm  
I have a DW6000 system set up with a 1 watt BUC (at least I think it is 1 watt, the part number is 1033504-0001).  The downlink speed I am getting is great, exactly the 1MBps I am paying for, but the uplink speed sucks.  I am getting 50-70Kbps on the uplink.  Would upgrading the BUC to a 3,4, or 5 watt help my uplink speeds appreciably?  I have peaked and fine adjusted the dish (1.2 meter andrews) to maximize the signal throughput and this is still the best I can get (SQF of 93 in the modem pages).

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 6:45pm  
Your issue may not be with uplink power, as much as it is with the service plan you've elected. At least compared to those offered on this side of the world that is. To my knowledge, Hughes uses nothing larger than a 2w transmitter, relying on dish diameter to account for most of their EIRP. From there, the upload speed of individual customers is regulated from the NOC in accordance with which service plan they're paying for.

Take a look at https://www.c-comsat.com/ and you should get an idea of what I'm talking about.

//greg//
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2022 at 11:01am by Admin1 »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 7:06pm  
The service plan I am using advertises a maximum uplink speed of 256K, and since my download speed matches exactly what my package is supposed to provide, I believe this speed may be attainable (or at least half of it).  My provider does list 60Kbps as the "typical" uplink speed so at least they don't create false expectations.  I'm just curious if by boosting my output power I will end up with a better uplink quality and speed.  I would like to run a VOIP phone over the link and I'm not sure the "out" quality would even be usable on this slow of a signal.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2022 at 11:01am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 8:49pm  
Well - based upon my own experience with Hughes - I think you're probably no worse than average. I have a 128k uplink "plan", but seldom see more than 30-40k. They leave us hanging out to dry with that "up to" proviso.

But - having said that - you almost certainly could retrofit your feedarm with a legal 2w transmitter. The benefits may not be felt immediately, but it would certainly make your uplink more survivable during periods of adverse atmospheric conditions.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1