Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

How many years left to Ku-Band Service????

(Read 3283 times)
chriswlan
★★

Apr 23rd, 2007 at 11:02am  
Hello!

I'm thinking of getting either SB or HN... I must have Ku, as with Ka one can't extend the fringe reception much at all.

But my question is: with Ka getting faster n cheaper, how much longer will the Ku services remain "on"?

And the other question is: of SB n HN, which is likely to die last?

Anybody here with inside knowledge?

Thanks a bunch

Christian

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 2:53pm  
No insider knowledge, but truthfully - I'm not sure why Starband is even still alive. There's no reason to think Ku-band internet access will die either. With proper frequency planning, the Ku-band can be exploited for an indeterminate period.

The initial groundswell toward Ka-band internet access diminished quickly, as more and more Ka-assets are being turned toward HDTV. So - consider this. Once the HDTV migration from Ku- to Ka- starts speeding up, what do you think the then-abandoned Ku-band capacity will be used for? I say - more internet access, quite possibly with lower prices.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 9:01pm  
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are only so many orbital spacecraft slots available.  Space segment capacity in some regions of the world is becoming quite difficult and expensive to come by.  I agree with Greg that as video service migrate to Ka, Ku will continue to provide Internet access for a long, long time to come. 

Satellites have a life cycle of 10 - 15 years and the capacity up there will stay in place for quite some time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1