Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

New Xplornet Customer

(Read 12636 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Apr 28th, 2007 at 4:28pm  
I will soon have an Explornet system installed with the KaZam (least expensive) package. I tested my dial-up speed & am doing 28kbps down & 172kbps up. By reading the Explornet material the KaZam package is advertised at maximum 512kbps down & 128kbps up. I'm guessing I will not experience the maximum numbers but what numbers can I realistically expect. I live about 50 miles north west of Toronto if that helps as far as what beam I may be put on. TIA

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 9:15pm  
There's something wrong with your dialup test results. A v90 modem  can send (uplink/upload) at a MAX of 33.6 kbps. A v92 is slightly higher at 44 kbps. You might want to find a more accurate test server before you start drawing incorrect conclusions about the pending satellite connections too

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:34am  
From all the reports I've read - and they're voluminous - XploreNet seems to deliver as advertised. Assuming a competent installation that is. Pointing these devices is critical, and can  make 95% of the difference between a good connection and a disastrous experience

Speakeasy is a reasonably capable speed test site, but I've gotten occasional absurd results from them as well. When that happens, I disable my browser proxy. If you're using one, that might be part of the explanation.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 1:45pm  
Perhaps you don't understand RTT and MaxPause. Because your InternetFrog reports that mine are between 6 and 72ms. That's a physical impossibility over a GEO satellite connection. As such, I can't really put much stock in their throughput results.

//greg//
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 9:42pm by Admin1 »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1