Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

HOW TO FIND Rx

(Read 3098 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Sep 6th, 2007 at 12:36pm  
DEAR ALL,

HAI I AM FROM INDIA. I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW TO TRACK THE  ANTENNA IF WE USE LINKSTAR IDU.

AS MOST OF OUR SITES ARE  AT REMOTE LOCATION THEN ITS QUITE DIFFICULT TO KNOW ITS ELEVATION.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IS THERE ANY INSTRUMENT TO FIND OUT THE RX SIGNAL ?

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2007 at 12:57pm  
It is straightforward.  You need no special detector instrument equipment at all.   Just use this page to determine the satellite dish elevation angle, polarisation angle and magnetic compass azimuth bearing for India.

Write down the details.

1. Set the polarisation to nominal (as you are told by the service provider - either horizontal or vertical.  Horizontal means the broad faces of the LNB waveguide are on either side)

2. Adjust the polarisation angle accurately, facing the satellite positive + angles are clockwise. Try for 1 deg rotation accuracy, which is not easy.  An inclinometer sideways across the LNB or BUC surface is suggested as the feed throat scale is tiny and very crude (e.g. 15 deg step)

3. Set the beam elevation angle using the scale on the bracket.

4. Pretune your LinkStar modem with the text string supplied by your service provider and put the modem and attached PC temporarily at the antenna.

5. Swing the dish boldly sideways.  The rx light will go green as you pass the satellite on the first swing.  Spend at least 45 minutes peaking up using the QPSKBER readout.  Read it out at least 25 times as you make tiny adjustments.  When all the bolts are tight the beam must still be pointed perfectly with 4 zeros after the decimal point.  You may get a sore finger from typing tcmp many times so try this trick: "rep tcmp"  and you will get a refreshed readout every 5 seconds.

6. Power off and connect the BUC.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2007 at 2:40pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1