Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Tropical zone propagation

(Read 3478 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Sep 30th, 2007 at 9:48pm  
Dear friends,
I was considering  iDirect 3100 satellite for the Central African Republic but after reading you guys with more experiences, i wonder which type of satellite internet is suitable for our tropical zone with 6/7 months of rainy season. Can you help with advice before i purchase it?
i will very much appreciate it.

best regards
Steven
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2008 at 8:45pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 8:51am  
Hello Steven,

Please have a look at this link www.future-b.eu - go to 2-way Satellite and click on AMC 12 (now NSS10) - this is a C-band satellite - the pricing will come up with various contention ratios.  C-band is recommended for areas with intense rain.  Coverage of CAR is very good.

Regards,
Jane.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:04pm  
You will experience longer periods of rain-fade (signal loss) in the Ku-band than in C-band. To mitigate, opt for larger apperature antenna whether in Ku or C band where possible to gain valuable C+N/N. There are many published articles that discuss this subject, just Google "rain fade". Best of luck.

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 8:43pm  
If you choose C band operation, as C band is less affected by rain than Ku band, then make sure you choose a C band system that uses circular polarisation.

C band linear polarisation is unsuitable for use in the tropics due to faraday rotation in the ionosphere, which will causes you intermittent cross pol interference.

Linear polarisation in C band is not too bad at the higher latitudes, away from the equator.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1