Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

WildBlue and Belkin N1 Wireless Router

(Read 9917 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Nov 25th, 2007 at 6:33pm  
Hi all,

I have been using WildBlue for about three months now with very good service. I recently purchased a Belkin N1 Wireless Router (F5D8231-4) to set up a wireless network in my home. I cannot get the router to recognize the modem using any of the settings offered by customer support. Has anyone tried this combination? Can anyone offer any help please? Thank you all in advance.

timyoung1966 at yahoo.com

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 5:01am  
I use an N1 also, but with a different modem. First question I gotta ask is - do you have the Surfbeam connected to the Belkin WAN port (the yellow one)? If you used a good Cat5e (I use a Cat 6) cable, the Belkin should have found the Surfbeam right out of the box. Have you tried reverting the Belkin to factory defaults? Or the little white reset button on the back of the router?

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

scooterz56
★★

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 11:44am  
Greg,

Is there any reason to use a Cat-6 cable, other than it's the latest greatest available?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 1:33pm  
Quote:
Greg,

Is there any reason to use a Cat-6 cable, other than it's the latest greatest available?
Well - a barebones answer is that 5e is an "up to" cable, and Cat 6 is a true Gigabit cable. There's a Cat 6e standard too, but I haven't actually seen one.

For the basic Belkin N1 (F5D8231-4 ) Cat 6 isn't technically necessary, as it only operates up to 300 Mbps (Fast Ethernet standard ?). Note however, that the later N1 Vision model (F5D8232-4) uses Gigabit ports. When you dig a little farther into the specs though, that's a bit cosmetic as well - since it's still an "up to" 300 Mbps router.

But I personally like to exceed - rather than just meet - minimum standards. I use 3 GHz coax and fittings for example, where 2.3 is technically sufficient. I use quad where twin might suffice. Among Ethernet offerings, Cat 6 is rated to 250MHz (100 MHz for 5e) and has a lower loss figure (19.8dB @100 MHz). Cat 5e is spec'd for 22dB @ 100 MHz). I didn't find a significant cost differential between the two (Belkin prices anyway), so I went with the higher frequency/lower loss cable.

So that makes the long answer - personal choice.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1