Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Best provider for High Speed Internet in Ecuador

(Read 6098 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Nov 29th, 2007 at 7:59pm  
Hi guys,

I've been researching for months on my own until I found this forum.  After much research, I am thinking of going with Bentley Walker's Star Pro system.  The details are listed below along with price.  Can anyone tell me if this is the best deal for me and my needs?

Provider: Bentley Walker
Package/Hardware: Complete Star Pro system + 1.8m Dish - $2150
Data Package: Emerald at 768kbps dwnld/192kbps upld 25:1 ratio - $1354.20 per quater
Other Hardware:
Twinshot cable + connectors (30m) - $105
Satellite meter (installing system myself) - $495

Total cost so far not including shipping to my place is $4186.28

They told me I still need to buy a pole mount (not sure if anything else is needed).

My budget with my company is $500 a month and service must allow a month to month or minimum 3 month increments as CEO wants to make sure working remotely works out.

Any suggestions/comments on whether this is the best way to go for me in Ecuador?

I work at a software company here in the States and will continue working from Ecuador.  So I will need a decent speed internet along with occasional VPN as well as VOIP such as Skype.  I'm not even sure exactly what speed is necessary for this as I could potentially do a lot locally by copying code over and running my servers locally.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 8:58pm  
Being a North American sat user myself, I'm not qualified to comment on providers of South American service. But if you haven't yet, you might want to look here too: https://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 9:24pm  
Thanks.  Yes, that is the first site I actually used to contact many of the companies and their services.  A few others I contacted were WCC and VPM Global.

Many are similar but for pricing/service/equipment, I am thinking Bentley Walker seems to be the best deal.  I wanted to check here and see if anyone knew of a better one though.

How about used equipment?  Do most of these companies allow you to purchase your own equipment?  If so, does it have to be a specific brand that you use or can I just piece together my own package?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 9:49pm  
Quote:
How about used equipment?  Do most of these companies allow you to purchase your own equipment?  If so, does it have to be a specific brand that you use or can I just piece together my own package?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with GOOD used equipment. But individual satellites are idiosyncratic -  you should get the selected access provider to approve your intended configuration before signing a service agreement.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 9:58pm  
That's a good point.  More than buying used, as long as I know that I can sell the equipment later on sites such as this, I would be happy because my CEO just doesn't want to end up being stuck with $2150 in equipment that they have no use for.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 6:23pm  
Our company can provide you with high speed internet in to Ecuador,  we offer iDirect services on shared FAP service, we also offer non FAP service.  Our service is provided in Satmex 5.  We support VOIP, VPN.

Please contact me and i will be able to provide you with complete pricing for services.

Thanks so much

Keith Lewis
ATCONTACT Communications
https://www.futaris.com/
keith.lewis@atcontact.com
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 9:17am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1