Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDS 8.2

(Read 5268 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Feb 9th, 2008 at 2:56pm  
Is due out sometime in the very near future and from what I hear it will be the first iDS to allow the HNO to build the future eVOLUTION satellite routers (DVBS2 ACM with proprietary upstream protocol).........the software will also be backwards compatible with the iNFINITI family of routers. 

Looks like HUGHES and the others are going to get some company in the DVBS2 game.

IP Logged

Y2J
★★

Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 6:39am  
Dear Mike,

Sounds interesting.
I am really like what you are doing right here sir. Thank you.

Human knowledge belongs to the world..

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 12:51am  
I look forward to the advancements in iDS.

From what I hear, the highly efficient (proprietary) upstream protocol structure will be retained.  This is good news, as iDirects upstreams are ALREADY incredibly speedy.  If it isnt broken, dont try to fix it! Smiley

I tell ya, I would really like to find some time to test the mysql modification that allows the line cards to run 6.5MBps upstreams (QPSK .793 environment only).

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 1:55pm  
https://nabshow.bdmetrics.com/PDT-294057/iDirect-Technologies/eVolution-e8000-Se
ries-Satellite-Router/e8350.aspx

Heres a quick look at the new eVOLUTON 8350 (e8350) from a nabshow link.  I put my hands on one the day before yesterday (no, I do not work for iDirect).  This sat router is an amazing piece of artwork.  It is a very sexy IDU.

iDirect has some great stuff coming in the months ahead.  I am talking about the ability to run SS inbounds with star inbounds in the same inroute, DVBS2, backwards compatability with legacy iNFINITI family, etc.  There is some considerable technology coming.  Can you say BGP!

Hang on tight iDirect is getting ready to pick up considerable speed.  

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:11pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:40am  
Upgraded to 8.2.1 on Monday. All is well.  Lots of nifty features in 8.2.1.  Significant changes:

- SAR is no more (now integrated). There is a downstream distributor only.  Formerly known as downstream SAR.  No more upstream SAR.
- PAD is no more (now integrated into the software)
- Star and Spread Spectrum can now reside in the same inroute group.
- STBY Line card relationships have changed significantly with this release.  You can now run multiple STBY cards in a single IF group and ID them as warm or cold (and what they back up).  The relationships are set thru a MODIFY/ITEM from the Chassis icon...as well as in the card props.
- Card properties now have a MGMT and LAN INTERFACE
- IP Tab in iBUILDER has changed: It is now tabulated for GRE, Persistent Multicast, etc..
- Software is capable of building eVOLUTION models.  e8350 and iConnex-800.

Lots of other features......it has been a fun few days....

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 4:57pm  
Have you played with GQoS (Group QoS)? 

I'm particularly interested in anyone who has used GQoS to allocate bandwidth based on weighting according to the bandwidth level being sold. 

Also interested if anyone has used GQoS to build mini "private networks" for a group of sites sharing a pool up upstream and downstream bandwidth within a larger pool of bandwidth used by (for example) a commercial service.

Any success stories?  Failures?  Bugs?

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 11:37am  
Pat,  I have been using GQoS since its release in 8_0_1.   It is an animal in itself.  

Thankfully, with the types of systems/traffic that I use everything is ESP so my applications, as well as the way I have layered my downstream allocations/upstream demand is fairly simplistic.  Keeping it simple stupid, so to say.

But to answer your question:  Yes.  However, I only do business in priority queues versus CBWFQ.  From there I hang DSCP which allows me to prioritize those services in the buffers before it is is all placed on the wire.  This is only effective with an end to end solution....with everything mapped accordingly (EF, AF31, etc) so nothing is left behind.

I am constantly testing demand and allocation to make sure all of my applications/services/users are not starved.  It is tricky and my profiles have been tweaked and finessed since I originally laid them in.  

As for the contention/demand for your private networks.  Sure that virtual BW can be sliced up and shared....fairly easy.  I don’t see a problem with that.  Actually, it is quite similar to how I operate.

IP Logged

bod
★★

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 8:46pm  
Curious as to how you have 8.2.1 loaded when it has not been officially released yet? I am an iDirect installer and it is not available to be installed on any hubs yet. In fact the release notes were just released yesterday. Are you running a test hub for iDirect?

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 1:52am  
K, how many iDirect Mikes do you know?

It should all be making sense to you about right now!...Smiley

I have had 8.2.1 for about 2 weeks now.  I am moving to 8.2.2 on Monday.  I think 8.2.2 will be the public release.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008 at 12:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bod
★★

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 3:49pm  
Sorry brother, will try and use my grade school math skills better next time. Keep up the good work man.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 7:48pm  
8.2.2 install went very smooth.  I think this version is going to be pretty solid. However, I am still evaluating it and will be throughout the week.  Hope all is well with your install.

IP Logged

Pages: 1