Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDirect acceleration needed or not?

(Read 3595 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Feb 20th, 2008 at 11:43pm  
I have a idirect 3100 unit and while searching for a good router product to use i figured i'd try the good ol' Smoothwall product.
What i found is a thread thats labeled "Tuning for Satellite". Link: https://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25237

Now my question is: Is this needed with the iDirect systems? Dont they already do all the acceleration and QoS and congestion control?

This also has me questioning whether the product udgateway is a good product or not and where to get one from and how much it is.

Please advise.

IP Logged

ahmelect
★★★

Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 8:02pm  
Hi

its not active at all, i tray Eitri Heimdall from Talia https://www.talia.net/applications/

&&Ahmed&&Dar Al-Hikma
YIM  
IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:09pm  
you said the Eitri Heimdall ? What about the udgateway?

can someone else please pitch in here to help clear up my
confusion...

i know BCsat has a product called PEP-Accelerator?
any feedback?

IP Logged

Maxim Usatov
★★★

Czech Republic
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 10:43pm  
First of all, a good question - what are you trying to accelerate? Browsing? VPN? Something else? There are lots of different acceleration techniques available.

iDirect has a so-called TCP acceleration that also accelerates HTTP. This means that anything that has an intact TCP header will get accelerated, such as SSL-VPNs, web browsing, mail transfer, FTP, etc. BusinessCom's PEP is a proxy-like software to accelerate primarily HTTP protocol. Many customers of ours prefer PEP versus standard iDirect's TCP acceleration for the browsing and leave other protocols to the iDirect's method that works pretty well. The reason why PEP wins is that it also compresses traffic on the fly. I don't think iDirect has that feature enabled but if it is, somebody please correct me.

If you're mostly interested to push your web browsing to the max, try PEP. We can give you a free trial - just contact me by e-mail and I'll redirect you to a sysadmin in BusinessCom to set up the account.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 12:17am  
Maxim.

thanks for the quick response.

ya. my main concern is HTTP (web browsing) acceleration.
all other TCP stuff is fine as is. (messenger and so on)

I am already in contact with Eugene at your company. he's a great and very knowledgeable person.

Now when you say you give me a free trial do you mean the software is not free to subscribers?

IP Logged

Maxim Usatov
★★★

Czech Republic
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 9:41am  
Just replied with pricing by the e-mail.

We charge for PEP if you're using a 3rd party Internet access service. The amount depends on the throughput rates. If you're using BusinessCom VSAT services, PEP comes free of charge.

IP Logged

Pages: 1